1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Biposto To Mono-plasic Support?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Berry, Mar 5, 2017.

1. My 749 has undergone minor surgery to create a mono and has all the mono plastics etc.
    Everything looks great but the plastic cowl is a bit 'flappy'. This is because the mono cowl has a metal locating pin which would usually press into a rubber gromit located on a mono subframe, keeping it solid. But, this being a bi subframe which is just ground down, that rubber gromit isn't there, so the plastic is held on only by the bolts nearer the seat.
    It's no biggie, and isn't about to fall off, I'm just a bit finickity with things like that. And apparently it's quite noticeably bouncing around when going at speed.

My question is, what have other people who have undergone this modification done about this, if anything? And is there any kind of off the shelf bracket or something available to sort this? I'm thinking I'll probably make something up that will share the exhaust mounting bolt and extend to the pin...just wanted to run it by you lot first, as you're such a wise and knowledgable bunch!
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  2. I changed from a bip to a mono and replaced the rubber grommets which are still avalible from dealers. Cant remember exactly how much they were but I'm sure they weren't a million dollars. Worth doing as there's a lot of vibration around that area of the bike especially if you have a termi fitted which have been known to crack around the top mount part.

3. Cheers mongoose.
    Yeah my only issue is there's nowhere for the grommet to actually sit, as it's a biposto. The rear cowl fairing pin is just swinging in the wind.
    I've managed to source the part number for the grommet though so will get that and just make a bracket up to house the grommet and somehow attach to the biposto subframe.

4. Pictures help.

5. I have the same setup to stop this and pull the tail section down a little lower I put a cable tie around the pin with second cable tie held by the first as it is tightened onto the pin/post the second is then fastened, tightened around the remaining rear subframe thus pulling and holding the tail section. Its not tight but just enough to stop it bouncing about

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Not a bad shout charlie. Will give that a go first. Cheers!
    Will take a pic today if there's enough room under there.

7. Useful to know all of this, conversely I'm about to retro fit a biposta sub-frame to my 749r. I'm fed up with the aluminium job cracking so am going for a steel bip frame. I'm not too precious about a few extra grams of weight and hoping the steel will be more robust. If I come up with a solution to the grommet/locating pin not being there I'll post a few pics up. I know a very good welder/fabricator so he'll be getting a visit ;)

8. Hi Berry do you have the part number for the grommet? I have been trying to source one for a while couldn't find it anywhere
    Cheers
    Joe

9. Some wood, gaffa or cable tie in place so that it acts as a support. If you want fancy, add a hole for the grommet :upyeah:

10. Here ye go Joe; IMG_0900.PNG IMG_0901.PNG So in theory you want 24,25,16 it seems.
    I'm obtaining some bigish cable ties from work this week..
    Chris

11. Thanks Chris your a star

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. If you have any problem getting the parts, contact Craig at Moto Rapido, I've just ordered these parts myself.
    Contact Moto Rapido

13. Sorted this today with a configuration of zip ties... Worked a treat! 1 small one looped tight toward the top of the cowl pin, with another small one looping through it and down to a larger 9mm extra long zip tie which is round both sides of the frame. I also found a rubber bung thing in the garage to put on the end of the pin. Tighten the big zippy up which pulls it all down tight to the bung and bam, solid.
    Hardest bit was cutting off the excess from the large zip tie as it's now pretty snug in there. Cheers Charlie for the tip :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Can't beat a zip tie fix :upyeah:

15. Haha. Well you definitely can, but to be honest who'd know!

16. even with rubber grommets and all the plastics can bounce around..........fyi the zip ties melt after a few miles so I lockwire mine on !!

I've a video clip of the plastics bouncing around whilst doing a dyno run - but can't see how to upload that here

17. Tried to insert a video (for the first time !!)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Crikey that is a fair bit of bouncing!
    Looks like Amanda Holden is having some similar issues...

• Like Like x 1
  19. First time happened on track someone came to me in the pits - worried the rear subframe was giving up.

But that's another story

Do Not Sell My Personal Information