1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Bleeding And The Cable Tie Trick.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Ok, works a bloody treat.should have been doing it for years.

Q: if you have front race lines, can you just do the cable tie and not bother to bleed? Obviously won't work with over mudguard setup.

Q: will it work in my car? Maybe a brick on brake or piece of wood jammed in?

Cheers

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. Never done it in a car,stop the giggling at the back,dont see why it wouldnt work.

3. My question is, how/why does it work?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. A link to the thread explaining what the trick is would help....

5. I've found it only works temporarily and in a short while you're back to where you started. Now I just try and bleed it right in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I reckon that under pressure the air dissolves in the brake fluid, just like CO2 dissolves in water under pressure. This gives a temporary fix but when the pressure is removed, with time the air comes back out of solution forming a bubble again and spongy brakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. That's exactly what I've read. There's some scientific word for the air being absorbed by the fluid. Can't remember it but someone smarter will fill us all in.

8. Hydroscopic?

9. So do once a month? Or night before a track day?

But where would the air go? And if it just returns it must still be in the system and that would make it worse wouldn't it?

10. No such word? :)

11. :Writing:hygro

12. Yes but hygroscopy is the absorption of water by a natural attraction to it. We were talking about air dissolving in brake fluid. It's all down to Henry's Law

• Like Like x 1
  13. Before I bled mine properly, I was having to do it every night. Park in the garage and cable tie my lever. I also did the read using a bit of plastic pipe I cut to length (Jammed between brake lever and subframe).

Became a nightmare so just methodically bled and raised various bits, until I was happy.

Never had to do the cable tie thing again.

14. Sounds feasible...

15. Why not buy a vac pump and pull the fluid into the system expelling all the air? Job done once,properly and cleanly! It's not a expensive bit of kit and can be used for lots of jobs,why take risks with brakes/lives?

16. Not expensive? What one do you recommend??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information