1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Cleaner On Chains

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Gimlet, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Is brake cleaner safe to use on O ring chains?
    I've been using paraffin for ages but my Superduke has a lot of broken O rings after 9000 miles. The guy who fits my tyres blames the paraffin and he's a track rider who cleans his chain after every meeting. On the other hand I've got two other bikes that get the same treatment and those chains are fine. Could just be a shit chain but it is DID.

Don't find any of the aerosol chain cleaner that good but I use commercial brake cleaner from a motofactors in a pump sprayer for parts and tool cleaning and its excellent. It would be a lot cheaper and more effective than aerosol cleaners, just wondered whether its safe to use on chains.

2. It seems to depend on the rubber etc. if you have a sealed (O ring) chain. Depending on the rubber seals used some chains degrade quicker than others.

When I used to race TZ250's I used to use a quick wipe over and minor lube with WD40, but the bike was doing very little miles. I now use on my road bikes a convential chain lube which seems to work well, but I don't generally use the bike in bad weather.

Chain lubes do vary and you really want one that lubes but does not eat away at any O rings. Have you tried a penetrating wax lube that is not heavy on chain eating fluids.

I have found that some are more agressive than others, which seems to make it a bit of a trial and error judgement. Wurth do some good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have always used paraffin to clean chains and so far have had no issues with X-ring damage. No idea as to whether brake cleaner is safe to use.

4. If you use aerosol brake cleaner, try not to breathe in the fumes ... or else you will soon get sick.

5. you say sick, I say happy

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OK, first happy then sick.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Why would you use brake cleaner on a chain?

8. Either:

It is a really excellent way to clean chains without risk of damage.

or

It is a terrible way to clean chains but you didn't realise that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. It is excellent at removing just about anything and aerosol chain cleaner isn't and its expensive. I don't use aerosols. I buy brake cleaner by the gallon from a local motofactor and apply it with one of these:
    upload_2017-4-2_20-4-1.jpeg

Didn't know it was nasty stuff. The gun doesn't really atomise, more of a squirt but I take care.
    I serviced my Stihl petrol disc cutter the other day which gets really cruddy and I'll used the brake cleaner and it was so effective I just wondered whether it would do for the bike chain.
    The guy who rebuilt my SF suspension swears by it and uses it ton clean shock and fork components so I thought maybe it isn't too aggressive.

I use S-Doc whit chain lube which is the best I've found. Keeps the chain moist for longer than most other lubes I've tried and it doesn't fling at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm fairly sure I read you need clutch/brake cleaner that is non-chlorinated.
    [​IMG] which is why I specially bought this can just for the chain.

11. I guess that the "does exactly what it says on the tin "add ain't always true in some peoples book,
    I find wurths dry Chain lube does a great mess free job and dosent gather dirt grit on the chain,so less cleaning for me,

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Good to know, I've just ordered some Worth Chain Cleaner, a ride it chain cleaning brush thingy and a couple of tins of Dry Chain Lube for our bikes. I love a nice clean chain and bloody hate cleaning lube off the rear wheel, exhausts, fairings and engine casing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. In theory brake cleaner shouldn't hurt O rings. If it damages them wouldn't it damage piston seals as well?

Haven't tried the Wurth cleaner but I'm happy with the S-Doc white. The days of cleaning greasy spots off the wheel rims are gone and it doesn't get all cruddy around the front sprocket/side stand etc. Doesn't really attract grit either but I clean regularly because I just like a sparkly looking chain..

#13 Gimlet, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Have always used Paraffin and a paint brush for years now, as its an oil based product, never had an issue. In the winter I use Motul chain paste following a good clean, in the summer I use Wurth dry, as this never flings anywhere and keeps chain looking clean.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information