1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Fluid

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Ash34, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Does brake fluid go off? I've found an unopened bottle of fluid that's maybe 5 years old. Should I throw it away or is it safe to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Yep, its hygroscopic which means it absorbs water. Chuck it in the bin and buy a fresh bottle. Even if it's sealed, it's cheap enough.

3. If it's a sealed bottle (not just one which has its cap screwed on after previous use), then I don't think it will have absorbed water (plastic bottles are pretty impermeable). Personally, I would use it without worrying. If you are really that worried, save it for rear brake and clutch use?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don't be tight and throw it. Brakes are the most important bit on a bike and for the sake of a fiver it isn't worth the risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Does it have a use by date on the cap??

6. This has been puzzling me. I have now checked several manufacturers' websites (Brembo, Putoline,Castrol, etc) and I can find nothing, including looking atheir techincal spec sheets, to suggest that there is a limited shelf life. I have also looked at containers I have on my shelf - Brembo and Shell - and I can find no dates or warnings about this. All of the information I see is consistent - do not reuse, always keep in original sealed container, always replace after a couple of years once installed in the braking system. So personally I would not throw away a sealed plastic container even if 5 years old or more. A 20 year old rusty metal container... that would be different!

7. If it's sealed, no water can get in there to contaminate it.
    All the warnings are about opened containers.

8. Thanks folks.

9. People seem to get very precious, not to say obsessive, about brake fluid. Chill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Check manufacturers technical depth. quick phone call in morning should soon get an informed answer as to what is safe.

11. You can tell just by looking if the fluids gone off, goes from translucent to dark gold and eventually black!.

If the foil seal is still intact it is more than likely ok to use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. You mean I should put it in the fridge?

13. The only comment I would add to what has already been said is that like technology, 5 years is a long time and things move on. If you are going to expect a lot of your braking, perhaps a check to see if your fluid matches the latest spec is a good idea. From personal experience, I have found that although more expensive, a race spec fluid that is designed to operate at much higher temperatures, provides more consistent performance where the reservoir is next to the exhaust. Andy

14. So I used that still sealed and unopened bottle of fluid to replace what was in the front system.

I had huge difficulty bleeding air out of the system and couldn't stop the spongy feeling on the lever. Even did a couple of sighting laps with it like that last weekend. Then I realised that there is another bleed nipple (bleeding nipple) on the master cylinder itself. I took the air out of that and regained that hard feeling in the lever again. What a silly boy I am.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Put it in the microwave, it will drive out any water or dissolved gasses, then it'll be fine :upyeah:

16. :Wideyed:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. dot4 fluid is dot4 fluid.

if its sealed its fine
    .(you think brake fluid doesn't get stored for years by the manufacturers?)

end of story? [emoji5][emoji106]

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information