1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BST Carbon Wheels

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Robarano, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Does anybody have them fitted?

What are they like and is the 6.0" or 6.5" rear the way to go?

2. [​IMG]they are brilliant.
    very well made and perfect finish
    very light and easily the best modification that can be done at any cost imho.

I cant remember now but they are approx 18 to 20 pound lighter.
    I have it written down somewhere.
    mine is 6" rear.
    stock on my 999 is 5.5"
    I have a 190 55 fitted and the feel is sublime. stock 180 50.
    all ride height and gearing adjusted to accomodate accordingly

this equates to faster acceleration.
    faster stopping and much faster steering at speed.
    and this isnt some 'seat of the pants' measure like 3 or 4 bhp from an exhaust.
    it is very very apparent from the 1st moment you ride with them

infact people spend 2k on an exhaust...
    they should really go the wheels route and get real benefits

uploadfromtaptalk1384592423274.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1384592446414.jpg

#2 Phill, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers for those.

I guess that's what I'm asking, what is the difference in weight between the standard magnesium wheels and the BST carbon items?

4. bike hps had a deal on BST with free discs

#6 Phill, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  5. Cheers Phil. I was looking at the HPS site as they seem to be the UK importer.

6. indeed they are and excellent telesales staff.
    very knowledgeable and enthusiastic.
    if you do go for bst dont forget to ask them to throw a bst rear sprocket in for free.
    different bcd pitch from stock

#8 Phill, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  7. I have them and they are great, however I guess as this is posted in the d16rr section you should ask Dave

View Profile: Dave - Ducati Forum

Think he just got some for his Desmo and runs a 200 rear afaik.

8. What are you running your magnesium wheels on? Could you tell much difference from the originals?

9. I went from oem 3 spokes on my 916 to these. The effect was immediate and pronounced. I felt more nimble.

10. To what? :biggrin:

11. I refer you to a post earlier in this thread. :tongue:

12. Any issues with then so far?

I have been advised that magnesium wheels need to be stripped, inspected and re coated every 3-5 years depending on mileage and not sure whether its worth the hassle or not.

13. I had mine checked and x-rayed and coated black by Marvic when I bought them. Ive had no issues with them so far. However the bike is never ridden in the rain except accidentally and definitely never ridden when there is salt about. Salt, water and magnesium are a no-no.

Ive had them on my bike at least 8yrs. No hassles. Paint is still perfect.

14. Mag wheels need more care but are more suitable for tarack use as the wheels retain heat in them from the tyre warmers (that why the GP boys use them). Carbon wheels lighter but dont retain heat.......

15. Ahh thanks for that Cranks I always wondered about that , I'd like to know how quickly do they lose heat , any of you carbon wheeled boys felt your rims ( awaiting jokes thank you) a short while after taking tyre warmers off that have been up to temp for say 20-30 mins , reason I ask is maybe they wont be suitable for my hillclimbing if they lose that much heat whilst I'm waiting to go to the line.

16. Haven't fitted mine to my D16 yet. I still have some BT01s that I need to use-up first. Am expecting to feel a big difference though (certainly did on the road with the carbon Dymags on my SuperDuke). Interesting point about heat retention though. Will try to do some temperature measurements on mag and carbon as I may need to start trying to avoid put lane queues on trackdays!

17. it has nothing to do with lack of heat retention whatsoever.

carbon fibre is actually an excellent insulator of heat.

in cycling tubular tyres that ordinarily run at 200 psi have been know to explode because the heat build up during braking can not be dissapated away from the glue contact area.

hence why on sections with long downhill finishes they use wire-on front rims to avoid the massive heat build up melting the glue and popping the delicate tube

in the main it is considered political or sponsorship as brembo own marchesini and brembo are the main supplier of brakes and I expect contract would state wheels are used too.
    marchesini are the main supplier of wheels in moto gp.

carbon wheels are not allowed in AMA WSB or BSB... probably due to cost restrictions and a need to closer mimic the road bike link.

they are allowed in moto gp and other moto classes

bradley smiths aspar aprilia used them
    as did juian simon and nicolas terol.
    all top riders...

they were also used on a factory ducati desmosedici moto gp bike

uploadfromtaptalk1384803919126.jpg

#19 Phill, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
Do Not Sell My Personal Information