1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BST Carbon Wheels

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Robarano, Nov 16, 2013.

1. I haven't fitted mine to my D16 yet. I still have some BT01s that I need to use-up first. I am expecting to feel a big difference though (certainly did on the road with the carbon Dymags on my SuperDuke).

Interesting point about heat retention for track use. I will try to do some temperature experiments with tyre warmers on mag and carbon as I may need to start trying to avoid pit lane queues on trackdays!

Any ideas on how to measure tyre temperature without stabbing a meat cooking thermometer into the rubber? ;-)

2. infra red thermometer

3. Howdo!

Not a D16 but I run the BST's on my Superlight and they really transform the bike and as for looks.....they are stunning!! Well recommend mod to any bike.

photo 4 (1).jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. I race a radio controlled Truggy and use a small hand held infra red thermometer to fine tune the fuel mixture. Should read in a suitable range for a tyre and not expensive. Andy

Just checked the HPI Racing web site, £28 and measures from -32C to 220 C.

#24 Android853sp, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. good for scotland then :p

6. and Newbury earlier today :eek:. Andy

7. Yep, I work in Newbury, was bitter!! I must get one of those thermometers for my RC Truck, only had it about 8 years!!

Anyway... I did loads of research on carbon wheels and most said they are pretty damned good, even heat retention wise,

8. I still want some. Just cant afford them. Missed a set for £950 with the right spacers for my track bike on ebay last week...but I'd just thrown £800 at mrs car for a clutch.

9. 800 for a clutch....whats she got a fughin porsche cayenne lol !!!

10. No Desmosedici option here but all other dukes are catered for .Just make sure if single sided its the new revised version.

Ducati 1198/1199 Panigale Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels - Complete, Ready to Fit | eBay

Also has the OP tried contacting Rotobox as they may do wheels for D16 also.

Just looked through that ducati ms link and those weights don't add up to what my scales show me for Dymag carbon version.It states 13 pounds for dymag carbon rear wheel yet my scales show a lot lighter.

SNV30373.jpg

#30 matt#corse, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  11. Matt, they will do, I'd take the dymag weight with a pinch of salt unless they weighed a batch of 100. Dymag used a process called resin transfer moulding to make their wheels. There'll be a considerable weight tolerance between batches due to the amount of resin isn't easily controlled. they would have had a general weight tolerance but don't expect it to be -/+100g. Its the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

The BST ones are pre-preg manufactured, so considerably better, pity they can't do something about their surface skin which looks pretty crap visually, but they are trying to keep costs down. However the beauty about most people is that as long as you can chuck a litre of laquer on it, and make it shiny people will think its the bollocks.

#31 Sev, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Im surprised both Dymag and BST haven't updated there designs more often like Marchesini etc do.

I prefer the Dymag look on older bikes like 996 and 999 but BST 7 spoke mamba look nice on later models.I thought id really like the matt finish BST carbon wheels but not so keen on them after seeing them fitted to bikes.

Rotobox seem to have come up with two different design carbon wheels.Think OP can get some advise on these if they make them for DR16 on ducati ms as some of the posters on there are importers.Not sure who the UK ones are.Just another option for OP to consider.

ROTOBOX:*Truly the lightest and strongest carbon fiber wheels

Rotobox - carbon fiber wheels (promo video) - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  13. er... no. Stick with BST. I'd have a pre-preg wheel over and above a resin transfer moulded part any day of the week. The site is very good, but there's nothing revolutionary or new in there. Its no different to your dymag rims.

They remind me a bit of minilite wheels!

The biggest cost for any composite manufacturer is the cost of the mould, which is why you won't see designs refreshing very frequently unlike a cast component which just needs a core machined up.

#33 Sev, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Nope...was a little 307cc that took 10 hrs labour to drop gearbox, fix, put it back, then Take it out because another fault found, then back in again....only paid for quoted 6 but 300 parts and 500 labour...back street rates ;-)

#34 bradders, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I've got some race mags on my 996, and there was such little weight difference between these and BSTs it wasn't worth spending the money. Sure on our our pot holed roads the BSTs wouldn't bend or buckle like mags can but i'd weight bare std wheels and compare the weights first. My mags must be 10 years old now, had them striped, crack tested, chromated and powder coated for £208 earlier this year. All good too but they only do track attacks.

16. I'm fitting OZ Racing magnesium rims to mine (MTS1200 PP) this coming Monday. That much difference you say?

17. Just fitted my BSTs to my D16 today. Photos to follow :)

18. Nice
    I blooomin love mine :thumbup:

19. BST Photos as promised - I went for the 6" rear and have put on a 190/55 Michelin Power Supersport. New JHP map and suspension set-up and I'm ready for Portimao in six weeks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information