1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning/melting Smell Monster 696

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Suzi, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Any idea's please?

Been getting a smell of rubber/plastic burning and found this (see pic) on my 2009 Monster 696 would appreciate any info as to what it could be, thanks

Added two more pics

IMG_1043.JPG

duc 1.JPG

Duc 2.JPG

#1 Suzi, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. Do you use a bike cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. No, and there's also a black cover that's melted too. Thanks for the reply though

5. What's the bit that's burnt? It appears to be removed from its normal position on the bike. Has it been touching the exhaust?

6. There should be a patch of heat protection on there. You can get a new one from your dealer. Part number 46013681A for about £4
    I'd suggest not riding it until it's sorted. Under that cover are the fuel connectors and they're next in line for the heat

7. Sorry to be dim, Nelly but I don't understand. I can see that there's residue of glue there, where the patch must have been but what heat protection does it provide? The exhaust appears to be below and inside the area where the the patch was, so I can't see how it could provide a barrier. Unless, as Derek suggests, something has moved...

8. Is it on fire? :D That would give you a burning smell. :Bag:

9. Looking at this, the part in question seems to have been moved from its original position and photographed somewhat out of context, so the heat patch must have been protecting it from the exhaust, presumably from the rear cylinder, under the tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes it does look like that but can't see how I would get a burning smell off it?

Is it easy to get to? as I didn't take the pic I don't know if I'd need to strip anything down to replace

12. It must be right next to the exhaust, under the tank

13. The pic you've posted shows the plastic part upside down, so when in situ, it will have the patch on the underside, just above the exhaust. The diagram I've posted shows it as being right at the rear of the tank. If you're lucky, you may be able to get to it with slender fingers without having to lift the tank.

14. Thank you all for the input & especially Old rider who I think has identified it. Slender hands I have but decided to bite the bullet & get it collected by Ducati for them to check. Especially as I've just had heated grips fitted for these slender, yet cold hands. Thanks again

15. Thank you for your kind words, brave @Suzi ( My bike is tucked away in its Winter cocoon until the weather warms up and the salt has dissipated).
    However, it was expert and professional @nelly who immediately identified the part in question and expert and semi-professional @Derek who pointed out that it was not in its proper place, in the photo. All I did was to work out where that proper place was for you.

Hopefully, the dealer will sort it out for you and at a reasonable price :)

OR

Do Not Sell My Personal Information