1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam Belt Failed

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ginge46, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Hi guys what's the worst damage I can expect if my belts failed? I'm guessing it's an interference setup?

2. :Wideyed:

3. Yes, pistons into valves - very unusual for a Timing Belt to fail these days - in fact usually something else goes wrong. You have an 899 though?

#3 Exige, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. yes very minimum is a couple of bent valves. worst case valve head breaks off embeds in the piston and fooks everything up big style!!

5. Yeah I do but I've been offered a 900ss by a friend that's just dropped its belt and I've always wanted one so if it makes sense (in man maths) I'll do the deal, I thought it would be valves but wasn't sure if they munched pistons

6. Get it cheap and all will be well in the end :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Is it the one on eBay?

8. No don't think so, is there one on there? It's in Southampton

9. He wants 1500 for it, is that the right sort of money? It's in average nick with 28k on the clock, could probably do with the heads being painted and a good tidying

10. Did the owner tell you what speed bike/engine was doing when the belt failed? This could be a factor as if it was low speed then (as said) you could get away with just a valve and maybe a valve guide but high speed worse scenario could wreck an engine beyond saving economically. It's unlikely to be this bad though.

11. About 3k when he was riding so I was thinking it might be worth a gamble?
    My old mans vfr dropped a valve at 5k and only needed a valve and a lot of blood sweat and tears getting the engine in and out

12. This one I'm looking at has some tiny cracks by the axle bolt which I'm told is common?

13. You have raised a good point - is it Front cylinder belt that has failed? This is far more easy to repair than rear vertical cylinder i.e. Horizontal/front cylinder can be done in situ but vertical cylinder will need engine removed for any headwork.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. If the bike your thinking of is a nice tidy bike and you fancy a project why not, At the worst you could slip in another engine if its beyond repair, Was you thinking of keeping it when repaired?

15. Yeah I was it's a reasonable bike maybe you'd class it as good, I'll find out which ones gone because I got the impression it's the rear one :cry:

16. That's the one i saw. Hate to say it, but she looks a donor bike/breaker.

If that one had 1 cylinder go and the other had the other cylinder go, could 2 become 1?

17. That's exactly what I was thinking:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I had belt go at 90. Pulley came undone/woodruff key sheared. Bent 1 valve. Seperate valves are hard to get s/h(never seen any on ebay) and v.expensive new, although s/h complete heads come up at reasonable price.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information