1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Cam Belts

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Derek, Mar 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. My Scrambler will be 2 years old soon, although it's only done 3,500 miles (I have 3 other bikes to spread the miles around). So I was thinking it's going to be due a set a cambelts at the next service.
    However on looking at the Owner's Manual it say 15,000 miles or 60 months - 5 years!
    Yet as far as I know, all the other Ducatis with the 803cc engine specify 15,000 miles or 2 years.
    Maybe @nelly can throw some light on this?

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 09.06.56.png

2. I noticed this - the belts are the same as the 696 previous engines?
    CCW only mirror the OEM times / miles so we don't have definitive data but not sure if the older 696 bikes are the same?

#2 Exige, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
  3. It's definitely five years. I thought the belts would need changing on my second year service and I was pleasantly surprised to hear it wasn't :upyeah:

4. Yes but why? Is there anything different? Have Ducati increased the life span to reduce servicing costs to encourage more buyers who are new to Ducati?
    If so, why not 5 years for the other bikes? Or is there something we don't know?

p.s. ET when are you going to introduce a prefix for "All Models"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yep. It's 5 years or 15k. Scrambler and the new 797 (same engine) use a new belt. It's not the old 696/796 belt which is still 2 years.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Thanks for that info. Presumably the new belt can be used on the old engines?

7. I realised this the other day. I'll get round to it when I'm in front of a proper computer/laptop rather than just a phone:)

8. Done :)

9. I just had mine done , dealer said every 2 years .

10. Not sure if I'm honest. Haven't any yet as there aren't many tipping 15k that I've come across so haven't had the new belts to hand. Parts seem to cross over, pulleys etc. but I'm not going to stick my head out and say "yes" ;) Not sure if they're the same length for instance...

11. Can't help being cynical and thinking that Ducati have realised if they want to tap into the mainstream market, they need to have mainstream servicing expenses as well.
    I'd be very surprised if there are any fundamental differences between these 5 year belts and our 2 year belts.
    Are the pulley runs significantly less tight and tortuous??

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Unfortunately Ducati have chosen not to make the parts lists for the Scramblers publicly available so it isn't possible to compare part numbers. So it's not possible to see whether the pulleys, tensioner rollers, etc. are identical but I'd be surprised if they're not.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Supersport 937 is also 60 months for belt change.

14. So either they are now doing things differently and have improved things or they've been taking the mickey ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Do the belt runs look broadly similar, Derek??

16. Sorry, I don't know yet. I haven't opened up the Scrambler yet. I will doing a Monster 796 later this year and will take note of the belt runs and tensioners. I doubt if they will be any different.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Maybe the belts are made of bitanium unobtanium then

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I just checked the part numbers of the M797, which according to Nelly uses the same belts as the Scrambler, against the same parts for the M796. The belts have a different part number but all the pullies and tensioners have the same part numbers across both models. The barrels and pistons are the same apart from the last letter, so probably only cosmetically different. On this basis I reckon the Scrambler/M797 belts could be retro-fitted to the other 803cc engines.

19. For 5 year intervals??

20. Why not?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information