1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambelt Tensioner Bearings

Discussion in 'Monster' started by garry, Apr 9, 2017.

1. having changed the belts a few weeks ago, today was its first proper run out, after an hour or so i was noticing a strange grinding/squeek type noise.. which actually caused me to call recovery, didnt want to risk it further until i,d checked it out.

covers off and all looks ok, so started it again, no noise, nice and quiet (ish).. then as it gets warmer it came back..

anyone experience changing these, can new bearings be pressed into the casings or is it new case and carrier ??
    [​IMG]

2. They can be replaced on the 748 motors so I assume yours will be the same, @Exige should be able to supply them I think.
    Steve

3. I have the 748 / 916 / 996 type and 998/999 SKF yes, lot of different ones are used across the different bikes however.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. On the old Monster/SS engines the movable pulley has two standard bearings on it and they are easily & cheaply replaceable - IIRC they are 6201/2RS (the same as clutch pressure plate)?

The fixed pulley is a single long bearing assembly and AFAIK not available other than from Ducati.

5. I'd remove the belts and check the bearing to see if there is any 'grittyness' or 'notchiness' when you turn them by hand.

If there is, then go ahead and change the bearings. If they feel ok then I would start looking elsewhere for the source of the problem e.g. belt tension, old belts etc., as it is unusual, though not unheard of, for them to wear out if belt tension has always been correct?

6. Don't forget that in service tension for belts is not the same as for new fit.
    90 Hz iirc

7. Didnt Dukedesmo supply that above??

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Oh yes, so he did - I misread that as a bike model series!. Thanks.

FYI from the SKF product selector http://www.skf.com/uk/system/SearchResult.html?search=6201/2RS
    I can confirm three 'deep groove ball bearings' as candidates with a search using Dukedesmo's hint 6201/2RS , all three with Width:10 mm, Bore diameter:12 mm, Outside diameter:32 mm:

6201-2RSH
    - Limiting speed: 15000 r/min
    - Reference speed: r/min
    6201-2RSL
    - Limiting speed: 26000 r/min
    - Reference speed: 50000 r/min
    W 6201-2RS1
    - Limiting speed: 15000 r/min
    - Reference speed: r/min

I'd guess any of them would do, the first being adequate.
    This place sells them reasonable price, free delivery:
    https://simplybearings.co.uk/

#9 chueewowee, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  9. I've just replaced these on the 900 engine I'm building.
    The 6201-2RSL bearings were easy enough to get hold of from a local supplier, but were a pig to get off the shafts.

After removing the circlips I used an aluminium drift to push the shaft through the bearings which were supported in the open jaws of my vice.
    I'd imagine it would be really easy to damage the bracket or shaft by not supporting them properly.
    I was surprised at how much force was needed to get them off.

I used the old favourite of a suitable sized socket to drift the new ones on, obviously making sure only the inner race took any force. Because of the shape of the back of the bracket care must be taken to make sure just the rear of the shaft is supported, otherwise you risk damaging something.

I'm in two minds about changing the other, non-adjustable, bearing/rollers as they appear to be in good condition and are quite expensive from Ducati, but not as expensive as an engine rebuild if they seize up.

Nasher.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Stick the bracket/shaft in the freezer for a few hours and heat up the bearings and they should just drop on...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I used that freezer/heat trick for the bearing in the clutch cover (900SS) and it worked a treat, I'm sure it'd be good for the timing belt rollers too. Pete

Do Not Sell My Personal Information