1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Can Someone Point Out Where The Radiator Is Leaking From?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Pras, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Just got back from Spain on my 848. Rad started weeping first day of the tour but managed to slow it enough to complete the trip. Spoke to Ducati dealer as soon as I spotted it to get the ball rolling. After sending them copies of my service history (some of which is independents) I am getting one under Goodwill for free.

For anyone who suffers a future leak, I would at least try that route, if the dealer is keen enough to help, they can make it happen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. How long have you owned it?

I bought mine 2 years ago from Ducati Glasgow with 525 miles on clock. Had 7500 mile service by Ducati John (Leeds) last year, it's now at 11k and annual service due. I've ordered the cheap impart already mainly because I wanted it sorted ASAP, didn't imagine the dealer would be interested since 7 years old and year out of the warranty it came with. I did call Ducati Manchester but they just quoted me the price of a replacement.

3. I've had it since new (2009), now with 17.5k miles on it.

4. My 58 plate 848 was about 11 months out of warranty with about 5000 miles & full service history and I had to pay full whack for the radiator. :rage:

5. My 08 plate 1098R has 6,500 miles on it. My dealer asked Ducati for a goodwill replacement earlier this year as it was a known concern. They didn't want to know. It's wearing a £56 Chinese rad now, which has performed exemplary (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

6. Rad fitted. Seems fine. Had fun with the bottom mount. Those that have fitted one, the replacement doesn't come with a threaded mount hole at the bottom. Not too big an issue since I had an oval nut to secure it but since it's not integral to the bottom bracket it's not as fixed as the previous.

What did you do with bottom bracket?

Filling the damn thing..... It won't take as long next time (hoping not to repeat anyway) I keep telling myself. Must get a set of t bar hex set too. An hour to fill it.... Suuuuuuuuurely they could have found a way to make it more accessible!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mines just gone after the first ride this year.

I take it the Chinese ones are ok, no major issues ? The 700£ dealer price tag seems a little high but to be fair to them they suggested the Chinese route over getting it repaired.

There are a few adverts on eBay but all look similar, might as well go for the 2 year warranty ones..

#67 Ims1098, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  8. Many others seem to be running the Chinese ones with no long term issues. Just fit a Chinese one and try and seal up the original yourself as a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Sounds good.

10. [​IMG]
    LINK
    What about this one?
    Has anyone bought this or know of someone who bought it?

11. Mines still good. 1200 miles around Ireland in October without complaint. One evening taking it to bits. An afternoon putting it back together. Another evening with some swearing, making funnel and tubing contraptions follwed by a trip to tool shop to by a flexible screwdriver and hey presto! It was filled up.

12. Probably showing my age here :)-() but I'm sure you used to be able to get a radiator repaired (at least, a car one), or use "Rad Weld" or something?

13. its because of where it splits that it needs cutting out to repair. INtend to do that to mine to keep as a spare as others have done. The repair job is more costly that the chinese equivelant, and quicker turn around.... I did do some ringing around!

14. OK, fair enough!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information