1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Chain Adjustment...

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by AndrewS, Oct 21, 2016.

1. I'm confused about how to adjust the chain tension on my 1198S...

I looked in the sower manual - first it says take it to your dealer (for checking the chain???) then later on says this:

Chain tensioning (on sidestand): hold a rule half way along the
    bottom run of the chain, push down on the chain and adjust
    the tension until the distance between the aluminium of the
    swingarm and the centre of the chain pin is 33 to 35 mm.​

So do I take this literally - pull down the chain and measure to the swingarm? If so, which part of the swingarm exactly, there appears to be a plastic (nylon?) bit and the alloy bit.

Thanks

Andrew

2. have you looked on you tube !! if not try this link.

note; you don't have to take the wheel off to do it but it would be easier, and as for resting it on the side stand while doing it I'm not sure about !!
    Guvs.

3. Hi Guvs

Never thought of YouTube... The link you posted was useful and there are lots more on that site. Seems the important thing is to have some weight on the rear wheel - either on a rear paddock stand or the side stand (the former sounds easier as you can spin the wheel and check in several places. There's a video for the MTS where there is a little metal gauge which looks neat; but at least I think I know where to measure now.

Thanks for the reply

Andrew

Do Not Sell My Personal Information