1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Cleaning

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Christian1977, May 4, 2016.

1. 1st time cleaning the chain, I bought a paddock stand and used wd40 chain cleaner. While it seemed OK it wasn't the result I was hoping for, used wd40 wax but now I feel like I have a small vibration?? Can anybody give a reason? Not too happy with the wax either! I only do bout 3k miles a year, and new to bikes

2. The best cheap tool for chain cleaning is a chain brush that scrubs 3 sides at once and pretty much any chain cleaner needs a bit of brush action to get all the crud off.
    Best chain cleaner ? Depends, the easiest spray I have used is the Sdoc 100, good stuff but not cheap. On the other hand, Paraffin is cheap and used in industry as a degreaser, it's smelly and eats thin rubber gloves but works great.

Not sure on the WD 40 wax, most chain waxes go on thick and get everywhere but are better in wet conditions than the dry PTFE lubes, the wax is a lot sticker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wurth dry lube is what I've been using on my bikes for years. It's not much cop in winter/wet weather though, for that I use Silkolene.

Wax I dont like. I find it messy and it collects crap rapidly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. As previous reply sdoc100 cleaner and old toothbrush. Go over twice and will be as clean as the day you bought it. sdoc100 chain lube after too. Best stuff in my book. Get it off amazon.

5. I use an old paintbrush and parafin to clean. The secret is not to let it get really filthy and then its easy. The three sided brushes well well but I worry that they're a bit harsh on the o rings.
    Bought some Sdoc white lube recently and I'm very pleased with it. SDoc S100 Motorcycle White Chain Spray 300ML
    Almost zero fling and seems to lubricate well. Don't know how it fares in winter but then I don't ride in winter except the odd sunny day.

6. Paraffin a rag and 10 minutes

Wurth dry lube all the way

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Worth dry for me too, I use it to clean using just a rag and lubricate. Chain never gets that dirty and it can be kept in pristine condition with very little effort. Only ever use the other stuff (wax or conventional) to protect the chain over winter whether riding or not. Another bonus is that my rear brakes always work, you would be amazed at how little wax or oily chain lube is needed to render the rear brake entirely useless.

8. Thanks for that, got it clean now not using the wax again, cheers

9. Thanks

10. Ok thanks

11. Yeah me too. Thanks

12. Thanks

13. Quick somebody go and find pics of fingers caught in the chain.

14. image.jpeg Ahh there you go.

15. That could be the cause of the mystery vibration mentioned at the start?

16. There'd certainly be a bit of shaking going on.

17. That looks bad!!! The vibration is still there but having to wait two weeks for the dealer to look at it! Annoying with this weather

18. Been some cases of poor dealer service on here of late, dont let them palm you off and give you the finger

Do Not Sell My Personal Information