1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Link

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Hey

So, fitting chain back on T9. I bought an "IRIS" link as i have an IRIS chain and i was told they needed to match, however it has come through unbranded, no markings. I'd have expected IRIS to be stamped on it? I can't see many other example but this one appears to be stamped:
    525 IRIS FB X-Ring (Gold) Rivet Link - Motorcycle Products UK

Anyway, went to fit and the white goo is not so strong as the last chain i did and in smaller supply and when i fitted the rubber X-ring squished out a fraction. Plate is on to the correct amount but i've not flared the ends yet. If it was on the inside of the chain you would never see it and I could only just see it poking out. I gave it a good push and a prod with a small pointy screwdriver and it looks OK now. But it was quite a prodding.

Question is, think it's knackered? And i'm concerned i've been sold a cheap chinese fake.

Next question, do I HAVE to have an IRIS X-ring 525 link or will any 525 x-ring fit? Can i get a DID as plenty of them on eBay. IRIS are in short supply. And does the flavour of DID X-ring matter?

Would this do?:
    DID Hollow Rivet Soft Link For Motorcycle Chain Gold 525ZVMX G&G525ZVMX | eBay

Or should I get the IRIS one above?

I don't want to buy a whole new chain and sprockets because of this.

I only know it's IRIS X-ring as i have an old sales invoice from the previous owner, but don't know the flavour or know if they come in different types.

Cheers

Creamy

PS, dome some googling and IRIS seem to have a bit of a rep for snapping? Is this right????

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. I can feel your pain as in the past '525' was a standard and the only detail you needed. Even if you have 7.85 mm between inner plates, the plate width can vary these days which is enough to throw a spanner in the works. A £6 link off EBay is one route or drop 'The chain man' a line, you can even talk to him on that old-fashioned thing called a telephone if you want, and I can't recommend him more highly when it comes to answering specific questions on chains.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Never heard of IRIS brand. Are you sure they are not a cheap Chinese copy anyway?

4. Spanish apparently. The guy @Chris mentioned above does sell them according to his website.

5. I can't even remember his name, but about four years ago I was desperate to get a bike on the road/MOT and like you, needed a link for a chain. The chain man asked for my address and sent me one free of charge/ Pay me when you can. I think three years had passed before I paid him in person at the Kempton Park show

• Like Like x 2
  6. What a nice chap he is. Told me not to worry and just use it. But he's not a fan of relinking used chains as it means uneven wear.

Not a big fan of xring and oring etc, recons most is just advertising spin.

He's at Kempton on March 11th and apparently demonstrate chains so I may pop along and say hi/thanks.

Cheers @Chris

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Oh, and he said regarding mixing DID and IRIS chains and links not being interchangeable "absolute bollocks".

Do Not Sell My Personal Information