1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain Tension On A Multi' 1200s

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by gmoss, Jul 29, 2016.

1. [​IMG]

Hi. Just got my first Duc. 2013 1200s multistrada. I have a question regarding chain tension. Is it possible to entirely eliminate all of the chain slap? By that I mean the (what sounds like excessive) hitting of the chain onto what sounds like the swingarm slider. I know the tension is quite critical and I know the measurements involved (35-37mm swingarm to centre pin), but even with it spot on I get the hitting noise, more so off road obviously. any advise. thanks. g

2. There should a gauge in your tool kit that takes all the guess work out of it. Andy

3. The DVT doesnt but older ones did.

I just use the regular inch (no jokes at the back). But you have to have in urban (think its urban) if skyhook and on side stand. That is then the slackest as its got the least preload or you can get it a bit tight on the higher preload settings

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Have a look here.

5. I have the same bike and am constantly checking the tension due to chain slap especially when i was riding a lot off road on a recent tour as the bike was heavily loaded and running in Enduro mode so soft on the suspension.

Its what they do

As the others have said there is a small metal gauge in the toolkit and you need to adjust it in Urban mode, single rider, no luggage on the sidestand to get the recommended adjustment .... i have a centre stand as mine is a GT but still have to adjust it on sidestand to get the right level accorsing to Ducati

6. Very few of the downsides of skyhook

7. You have to check it on the sidestand. You don't have to adjust it on the sidestand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pedantic ;)

I check it on the sidestand, adjust it on the sidestand, then check it again on the sidestand to ensure its correct

makes more sense than check it on sidestand, put it on centre stand then adjust it, then put it back on centre stand then check to ensure its correct

happy ?? :)

9. Not really. My point was - obviously - that since doing the adjustment is quite awkward and difficult, it is very much easier to do the adjusting bit with the bike on the centrestand. Doing the adjusting on the sidestand is just making life needlessly difficult for yourself. Still, if that's the way you like it knock yourself out.

In post #5 you claimed that you "... still have to adjust it on sidestand to get the right level ...". That is clearly wrong and could mislead people.

10. Really ??...you check on the sidestand, move it onto a different stand to adjust and then put it back on a sidestand to check and apparently the way i do it is difficult :D ??

Looks like we need to disagree and my light hearted use of pedantic seems to be spot on after all.

If you find it awkward and difficult to adjust (not check) the chain on a sidestand then you are doing it wrong ...its just a small move of a C spanner after all but i am sure you will disagree ...but as you said, knock yourself out

11. The new 1200s does not have the little gizmo in the tool kit and the dealers say they can't get them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Did mine this week. In the end I simply put in centre stand, and adjusted so that tension at its tightest point just (when pushed) touches swingarm. When on the side stand looked fine to me :)

13. New rubber on the centre stand. New ch & skts. I slightly stiff link was causing it. Only 2mm tolerance for chain tension is tight (no pun intended), I'm thinking lots of cleaning and lubing or scottoiler in an attempt to avoid knackered links.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information