1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Change Up And Down Gear Ducati 848

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Boukekoppejan, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Hello,

Do you guys know if it is possible to change the gear up and down gear?

Thanks

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

2. Don't understand the question :-(
    Do you mean change the shift pattern from one down five up to one up five down (road pattern to race pattern)? If so, yes it is possible.

3. Razz thats right! Thank you, thats indeed my question[emoji106]

Is it possible with OEM gear and brake set? What must i do to change this?

4. Remove the short lever attached to the gear change output shaft, turn it through 180 degrees and refit the linkage to the lever.

Like this;

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. DukeDesmo, Thanks a lot! That looks very easy[emoji106] do i have to make something langer or plug and play?

6. Should all fit, you may have to adjust the linkage lengths and maybe experiment with the spline position of the lever to get the correct lever position and smooth operation.

Alternatively fit a direct lever which eliminates the linkages, like this;

[​IMG]

7. I'd put a direct gear lever on as the pic above, but note that it will foul the bellypan on an 848 so you may have to mess about a bit. But if you just want to try it first, spin it upside down like the first pic

8. is there any benefit to changing the shift pattern? or it is it done to emulate motoGP racers? and does anyone know why this pattern was introduced instead of using the traditional 1 down, 4/5 up?

9. Think you will find this was how it used to be ;)

Yes. It makes up shifts easier especially in turns.

10. ah, that explains it. I don't track my bike so I did not know. thanks!

11. Even on the road it can help tho. Especially off roundabouts. Although you guys may not have roundabouts

12. we do but the few we may encounter are mostly in neighborhoods and not on heavily travelled roads or streets.

13. I had a DP lever directly fitted on the gear selector shaft when I had my 1098s. It did not foul the fairing, although that may be because I had after-market pegs which were higher and further back. A directly mounted lever eliminates the play in the linkage.

14. Probably as when the lever is puched down when its at the standard spline position it hits the fairing somewhere. The DP one may have also been slightly bent and/or longer to compensate. The cheapy £25 ones dont

Do Not Sell My Personal Information