1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap As Chips Sat Nav For Diavel, May Work On Others...

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by CINNABULL, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Well, here we go. I wanted Sat Nav on my Diavel but was on the lookout for a cheap, effective option. I came up with the following solution.

First I bought one of these for the vast sum of £13.
    iPhone 4S Locking Strap Bike Motorcycle Handlebar Mount (sku 16693) - BuyBits.com

I already had an IPhone 4s I wasnt using from a previous upgrade some years back. Anyways, they are available dirt cheap on evilbay.

I fitted the loop around my handlebars as in the pics below, and tightened it down, its like a large cable tie sort of thing. You have a choice of leaving the mounting plate (the bit in my hand) in situ, or taking it off. I will probably leave it on, and just remove the phone when I get where I'm going.

I have also installed a double USB socket, which is wired in to the ignition fed power supply under the left of the headlamp. I can power the phone, and my GoPro from this.

I think it looks well, it fits perfect under the screen and doesnt obstruct the views of the dash. And as I have an intercom, if I pair it to the phone I will get the spoken directions direct to my headset in my lid. You can angle the phone so it suits your height.

Sorry for the poor pics but I'm sure you get the drift. I'm sure this idea would work for many other bikes as well. Obviously the phone may get wet, well, actually it wont cos I dont ride in the rain, but if I do get caught out I'll just flirt it into a pocket and listen to the directions via bluetooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuart

• Like Like x 1
  2. I use an old 4 as my speedo on my enduro and will be as lap timer :upyeah:

I have tried phones and car navy and neither are even close (and tbh ball ache) compared to a bike one :)

3. Yeah I get it may not be as good as a dedicated bike unit, but this cost me £13. Thats a result in my book. And, tbh, the sat nav in my Merc has sometimes led me up the garden path so to speak, whereas my Iphones have generally been spot on. I'm really a pleasure rider and just want basic nav to point me in roughly the right direction, so I'll see how it goes. I'm certainly not going to spend hundreds on a dedicated unit, I'll just stop and ask a pedestrian where I am if I get desperate !!

Stuart

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mate used his for years. Just uses ear phones and sticks it in his pocket and follows google directions.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information