1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Chrome Flakes Found

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Pidge1969, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Got the oil filter off after a bit of a struggle and did my service but oh bugger found some small flakes. Reckon there was prob double the amount in picture, just had top end service and rockers checked and was told that one was a tad marked but not on the working area...can you take the mesh filter out without a complete drain of the oil, if so I could at least keep an eye on things image.jpeg

2. Oh dear..I hope that the wallet they are sitting on is full of cash!

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. It does have a fiver in it

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hope it's not rockers, last ones I had from Ducati were £125 each. If I need any in the future I will consider getting them re-profiled by Newman.
    Steve

5. They've just been checked though so maybe it's from something else? image.png

6. if I can get the strainer out without oil pissing everywhere then I'd be able to keep an eye on it I suppose

7. No, oil comes out with strainer I believe.

When was the oil last changed?

I got 2 2nd hand rockers from a kind gentleman on here for £40 odd and my spanner man checked and put in for me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Prob a year to a year and a half ago I reckon, before I got her.

9. What's the mileage and did the valve clearances get checked when he looked at the rockers?

Any service history?

10. Yep he checked valves and said all ok, mileage is 11,300 had a bit of service history, the 6k done at Baines (had a rocker then) that was 2005 though.

11. How many did you need and how did you discover you needed them ?

12. I discovered I needed them by Geoff at Baines calling me up.

I had flakes like yours in my previous oil change though on the strainer.

13. I had five on my previous engine and a cam, I had them checked by a reputable Ducati authorised service center.

14. if it was me id be getting the cams pulled and the rockers all individually inspected by someone you trust

ive just bought my 748 and before i do serious miles ive got someone to run a fine tooth comb over it despite the fact that its got decent recent history and 9.2k dry miles.... theres always a niggling doubt unless youve got it done yourself by someone you trust

15. Agree totally except if I'd just paid £350 to get it checked I'd rather not take it somewhere else to get it checked again.

The garage it went to has a good rep from what I've read on here.

OP, did they give you a chart with the clearances? I believe that's normal practice. I may be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. i dont believe the OP had it checked recently?

17. No I did not get a chart, just the invoice, reason I took it to St.Neots Motorcycles is because I had heard on here they were very good. I don't (obviously) want to shell out again and have it rechecked but I suppose I'll have to. I could take it to Baines but bit of a hike for me, plus should I ride it after this discovery?

18. It was closer to £450 after VAT

19. That's what I thought I had done, being only a year or so into my first duke I deliberately made a point of finding and choosing a garage that had a good reputation (from asking on here) so I was expecting a good inspection, they have said they look OK, but the chrome must be from somewhere? I know it's not masses of chrome but the fact is its there! I suppose I could give them a ring and ask for another inspection but that seems a bit mental. Don't really want to ride much though now

Do Not Sell My Personal Information