1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning Footpeg Hangers (900ss)

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by ck_uk, Sep 6, 2016.

1. What's the best way of cleaning the aluminium-style finish footpeg hangers?

I've tried using GT85 which works but it's time consuming.

I was thinking that I could remove the rubber foot part, then soak the whole unit in either turps or white spirit. I know this works well for things like bicycle rear cassettes (can't remember whether I used turps or WS).

Can anyone advise what's best?

IMG_7782.JPG

2. I stripped mine right down then had all the ally parts anodised. Came back looking like new. I was a bit anal about it though. The hinge pins were starting to rust so I replaced them at £7 each, then new rubbers, and new screws too.

3. Try soaking them in a strong solution of biological washing powder - it's surprisingly effective. A bit of a scrub with an old washing up brush helps as well. The more you dismantle, the easier the cleaning of parts is, I've found.

Also, if you do it outside, petrol is a very effective greasy mess remover. Just be very careful!

Good luck!

4. Dish washer :)

5. Sonus - Aluminium Restore
    Quickly attacks and removes oxidation and deeply embedded road grime from uncoated aluminum finishes and roughcast surfaces. This innovative product was specially formulated to work quickly, effectively and efficiently on all uncoated aluminum finishes, fuel tanks and unpainted aluminum trailers and boats.

Simply spray on then hose off. It’s that easy! A second application may be necessary for severely oxidized surfaces. This product is not recommended for anodized or highly polished surfaces as well-maintained finishes may be dulled.

6. Also, be aware that the screws are a total bitch to get undone. I must have drilled half of mine out and only the shorter of the two lengths is available now from dealers (there are two different lengths per rubber). I managed to source some and may have a few spares if you need some.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information