1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Slip

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cream_Revenge, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Hey
    Got massive clutch slip. Changed clutch slave since last ride in November so properly that. Bike has a slipper too.

So I need to lower the stack height?

Just remove 1 friction or 1 steel.

Bit gutted :-/

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. That's not helping. Must be increased stack height......

3. That's what I thought. I was confused by the 1st post. :confuse:

4. 321 and we are back in the room!

Neutral is now rarer than sex after marriage though :-/

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Good ride and fine on the move but pulling away on 1st makes a grabbing/slipping /grinding noise. And neutral has left the building.

I take it I need a steel 1/2 way between 1 and 2 plates in thickness.

No time to strip and measure now. Are they 1mm thickness each as standard? So I need a 1.5mm plate?

6. Installing a slave with a larger bore diameter means you have reduced lever effort but that is at the expense of range of movement of the pushrod, so your drag (elusive neutral) is likely to be down to that.
    Perfect bleeding could be the answer, otherwise go back to the standard bore.
    Don't know why you'd get slip.
    If the slipper clutch is new, maybe the slipping will disappear as the plates bed in.

7. Slipper came with the bike. I need a replacement steel 1/2 way between the 2 in thickness but I can't find where to buy them :-/

8. Came with the bike or came on the bike?
    If it was already fitted, then swapping the slave shouldn't have affected it, unless the pushrod is somehow not seated properly.
    Adding a steel will increase the preload and make your clutch lever that much heavier again.

9. Previous owner fitted. STM slipper.

As the new slave is not OEM it's possible the plate inside that pushes the rod may be a different distance away from the rod as standard. It's only about 1/2 a mm I think.

10. Have you checked all your steel plates as they do come in different thicknesses, you might be able to find one thin enough to change.
    Steve

11. If that's the case, there's no point in adding plates.
    You could try shimming the slave cylinder out a little or just go back to oem

12. Have you set the clutch pack to the correct thickness. Slipper clutches do judder and sometimes quite badly when the pack is not set correctly.

They need to be set up correctly and with the correct clutch pack thickness and also the correct offset set on the clutch hub, which is roughly about 3.5\3.6mm using a vernier caliper, if I remember correctly.

If you have a ramp and ball setup, which most are apart from the 748R stock clutch, then have you checked and greased the ramp and ball setup accordingly and used the correct molybdenum grease, which is the recommended lubricant for slipper clutches.

Does it use stainless springs? which do not always have the correct lift.

If it has an aftermarket slave cylinder fitted then you may need to check the clutch lift and adjust accordingly on the lever depending on if you use stock or aftermarket levers. Again a vernier gauge will reveal this.

A precise going through of the system and how much minimum lift you get on the installed clutch stack may need to be done. As above some of these problems have been referenced but a slipper clutch fitting is not always a 5 minute installation and often requires some effort to get it right.

Clutch hop and pulsing are part of the nature of a slipper clutch particularly when used on the road.

Final question is, do you really need a slipper clutch?, If not maybe then sell it and use the money to purchase a good road setup using a stock clutch.

I use use a stock clutch on my 748R engined 748S and it is far less trouble than using the 748R setup on the road.

#12 Red998, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 0.5/1.0mm is very marginal between a dragging clutch and a slipping one, I wouldn't be happy with that and would prefer the bigger travel of the stock slave cylinder personally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. From what we can tell, CR's bike came with an STM slipper already fitted and it was working ok until he fitted an aftermarket slave.
    Tend to agree about the slipper. Is it really worth all the extra hassle for road use?

• Like Like x 1
  15. What id really like to know now is where I can buy different thickness drive plates?

16. So......where can I buy various sizes steels,?+???+

17. If the slave and pushrod between them are preventing the springs and pressure plate from holding the clutch plates together, no steel plain plate is going to help.
    A question: Do you have free play in the lever?? You always need s 2-3 mm of free play before pulling the lever starts to press on the pressure plate.

18. Use worn friction plates to help get the correct clutch pack thickness, but make sure they are serviceable and avoid putting them in the centre of the pack as that tends to receive more wear.

As for different thickness steel plates they are available new from Ducati.

Use a vernier caliper to size you plates and to help set the final clutch pack height.

I have done this several times on slipper clutches and stock items and this method has always worked for me.

Work patiently and methodically and you should achieve the correct result but it is unlikely the clutch will ever be as totally smooth as a stock clutch.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Slipper clutch is STM ball/ramp and has been in bike for years. In September I greased ramps and fitted new spider spring as the other had broken.

Apart from being really heavy and my hand killing after 2 hours the clutch has been performing perfect for the 2 years and 2k mls I've owned her. Only change is the new clutch slave to try to stop my left hand giving up after 2 hours.

I'll call Moto Rapido Monday and try a plate between the 1 (slipping) and 2 (judder/no neutral).

If that doesn't work I'll probably take it off and stuff it on the 999. Then try to get it right on there.....

I've not measured stack height yet as clutch was perfect before yesterday. So good I wondered what all the fuss was about .

20. My hand is killing after 2+ hours. It stops me having a full day as I can't use it for longer.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information