1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Back To The Fold?????

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by tim jones, Sep 17, 2016.

1. After 6 years without a bike and 8 without a Ducati (had 900ss, ST2 and Monster S4) I am greatly tempted by a low milage ST4s.

I need a bike to commute on (all fast A roads and motorway) about 140 miles a day (c.12000 miles a year as i also have a car to use) and would welcome thoughts on the ST4s as the 'right bike'. I guess servicing costs are my concern, my other Ducatis were 100% reliable, even riding through the winter and snow.

The bike in question is a 2002 with 8500miles and one owner who has spent a lot of money on various bits but most notable the £2500 'full monty' from Sigma Performance. I was going to get an Aprilia Caponord 1000, i'd welcome your thoughts.....

2. My thoughts are.......introduce yourself properly in the newbies section Dave ;)

3. Hefty commute, welcome

4. My thoughts - for that mileage - just commuting - but a cheap Japanese 250 to 400cc that much lower service costs, cheaper tyres and chains and probably more reliable as a year round bike and maybe 50% less fuel consumption

They buy yourself whatever Ducati you fancy as a nice toy.

Ducati's are expensive to run and do not like all year round weather.

Just my 2 cents - I have 2 Ducati's in the garage that have done 10,000 miles in the last year - all for fun and pleasure - dry days - always cleaned after every ride - and still have mild corrosion/discolouration on both on the aluminium / plating.

Just looking at running costs

Probably cost me £800 in service costs - £500 in tyres - £200 in cleaning/maintenance, £1200 in Fuel

Then if you added depreciation - these bikes cost me £7,000 a year

Factor in the toys you buy it, helmets, gear etc and its probably near £8,000 a year each year for 3 years.

So you can have a lot of cars for that..

These are new bikes under WTY.

Belts and Valve service is like £600 / £800 every 7500 / 15,000 miles at a dealer

So buying a Jap with chain / gear cams is a cheaper commuter.

5. I used my ST4 to commute for many years, but 20 miles each way not 70...
    My only concern would be the servicing costs...

6. Thank you for the responses, you have confirmed what I really suspected but didn't want to admit! 2 bikes, one for work and one for fun is going to take a mammoth amount of persuading my wife!

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  7. Do it step by step...Start with the Ducati - then.. 3 months latter ... I made a mistake its to expensive to run... need to add a cheap commuter... to SAVE money.

simple...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Can you not do your own servicing?
    Welcome BTW...

9. Just get it and deal with the wife after or just put it in the garage and look surprised that's it's appeared in there, but it was in the sale and you couldn't pass a bargain by
    Just lie like the rest of them on here :D

Go on you know you want to oh and hi welcome into the mad house

10. Just quote the "n+1" theory...
    n+1 is the perfect number of motorcycles, where n is the number you currently own.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information