1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant - is water ok for finding a leak?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by pingping010101, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Hi guys,

As I mentioned in an earlier thread; I've got a coolant leak. Can I fill the system with water to find the leak?

Will it be easy to drain after?

Are there any common leaky areas? It isn't obvious...

2. Water is the best coolant!

The only problem with water is that it is a source of oxygen which will fuel the corrosion cycle of just about every metal, it also freezes (and expands) below 0°C and boils (and expands) at 100°C which means it has limits on how useful it is. This is why you add corrosion inhibitors and anti-freeze in the form of a coolant liquid to water.

Racers must run pure water in their systems as coolant liquid not only damages the environment but is also very slippery when the water evaporates, so any leaks from crashed bikes are potentially dangerous.

The upshot is that by filling your cooling system with water you're not going to do any damage as long as you don't run the bike on it for too long, and also that you don't leave the (pure) water in there too long either - once you've found the leak drain the system (which you will probably want to do when you find the leak to get it fixed anyway!) and then refill with the correct coolant mix.

HTH.

3. Unfortantely my drain plug appears to be made of chocolate. Not so useful!

4. If the plug is allen head, buy a new one ready, then hammer a slightly bigger torx bit in the old one to get it out. For hex head bolts i do a similar thing with the next size down socket, usually an imperial one cos i never use them anyway.
    For finding leaks yes as already said water is fine. If it's being a real pain buy some coloured toilet roll and wrap it around the hose joints. Then leave the bike ticking over until the fan cuts in as this ensures the system is pressurised. When the fan cuts out turn off and inspect the toilet roll if the leak hasn't already become apparent. I prefer blue roll as it shows quite clearly when wet.

5. Could you please check this photo and video?

I think I overfilled the coolant bottle and fluid is continuously being pumped out of the overflow screw top.

I don't know if this is normal because I have over-filled it or if this is the source of the leak.

I wasn't able to source any other leaks today although I didn't do the toilet paper test.

What bolt exactly will I need to replace the existing drain plug? The official Ducati one will be expensive? I have an allen-headed bolt in there at the moment. I'll happily get it out with a bit of force when I know what to replace it with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. If you can find no other leak, is it possible that there is a blockage in the system, causing it to vent out of the overflow when up to pressure?

7. How would I check that?

I'd have to strip out the whole system? Strange thing is the bike doesn't over heat. When ridden previously it never went higher than 74ish degrees.

Although that would make sense. The leaking fluid is very green but the fluid in the coolant bottle is blue.

#7 pingping010101, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  8. Drain system, all coolant pipes off and check system for blockages. Refit, fill system and check there's no air in system.

how do you know you have a coolant leak?

9. Green fluid on the left hand fairing inside after riding. It was suggested it was coolant.

10. You won't find a leak with water ! Unless you use a pressure tester. But water containing coolant will find the smallest leak strange but true

11. I'm betting the leak will be the 8mm hose to the top of the rad on left side, the hose clip is pants.a jubilee clip will cure it as for overfill look on the inside of the coolant tank on the right, look from the ground by the front wheel your coolant level should be between the two marks.

#11 peter james, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  12. As above, but also dust the engine, coolant system in talc and go for a ride the coolant leak will easily be visible

• Like Like x 1
  13. +1 for peters comment. I have a 999 track bike that leaks from this exact place. It only happens for a couple of mins, and once up to temperature it stops. One day I will prob fix it :upyeah:

14. Ah, the old find the growler on the fat bird trick!:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information