1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Cost Of Fuel Sender Unit

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Multiverse, Oct 6, 2016.

1. After putting up with a failed fuel sender (just after warranty expired) for too many months I thought I would actually ask how much they were at my local Ducati dealer. Expecting something nearing £200 I was pleasantly surprised to be quoted £60. Ordered one there and then. Just picked it up. It's obviously a version D and was made this August FWIW.
    I'm now considering thinking of this debacle of a part to be a service item! So wrong on a number of levels but if it lasts for a year or so I will just stick a new one in when it's required. Could do without having to take off all the body work but hay hoe- the joys of Ducati ownership!
    Keith MM
    Ps I'm hoping Ducati have actually done something sensible and decided to sell these at a sensible price to help placate grumpy multistrada owners!

2. Your local Ducati dealer should have given you the fuel sender free of charge even after the end of the warranty period. They would have to get Ducati UK's approval, but this is usually forthcoming for the fuel sender given that it is a well-known rubbish part.

Last year I walked into dealer where I had never previously bought anything whatever, mentioned that the fuel sender had gone (again); they rapidly gave me a new one FOC as "goodwill". I have since got stuff there which I have actually paid for.

#2 Pete1950, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pete, you are absolutely correct, however the circumstances and my inability to pick every fight determined this outcome.
    I did go into my local Ducati dealer and asked if they could try and get a replacement sender FOC for reasons you stated. No call or email after a month so I popped in and asked directly. A bit of waffle and obsfication meant I just asked how much are these bloody things. What? I say, just order me one. ( I can't be bothered with this, I just want the fuel guage to work). Added to the fact I had just filled her up and had to put 20 litres of fuel in. That's pretty close to pushing the bike home I think. With hindsight I should have said 'ask them to refund the £60 when you place the order'. Different dealer and a different owner would have got a different outcome I'm sure. I'm just happy I'm going to have a guage that works! Just need to fix the heated grips and I'll be sorted- insert ironic groan!!!
    Keith MM

4. Just had the same thing. Mine went at the turn of the year but I never bothered getting it fixed. Put her in for service last week and Onyer Aylesbury said they could try and get a goodwill gesture from Ducati but because I didn't have last formal receipt, I did have the service book stamped, they said it was unlikely to be successful. As it was part of a service Onyer kept the cost down to fit so all in I'm happy enough with them, but not Ducati and their shoddy design/components.

5. Thinking off replacing my fuel level sensor, what type of job is it do you just plug in and play or do you need to get the dealer to initialise it?

Thank RB

6. Disassemble the front bodywork to access and remove the petrol tank so you can get at the fuel sender. When a new was fitted and lasted 400 yards, the technician said it's a 2 hour job but took him 3 hours. Chose to wait to have the initial duff unit changed during a service where the tank needed removing, negligible additional cost that way. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information