1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crankcase Repair?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Moses, Sep 6, 2016.

1. I know. There are different types available. We made them out of stainless steel. I think they were 14mm, but don't pin me on it. The eBay tins are .7mm??

2. sorry? me?

3. No not you. The eBay items are of a spec that's not really a saver....

4. well that's not ideal......

5. Put me down for one please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. En route to the Bol D'Or in 1980, riding up the coast from Valencia, where I was working at the time, the DID 525HD chain went through the crankcases on my CB750K2 at the Granollers peage, just north of Barcelona. I had no choice but to abandon the bike outside the police station at the toll booths until I could do something with it on our return from the races. My pals were all on Darmahs and SSs, so I pillioned the rest of the way and back again. On the way back I picked up some Devcon, a couple of dishcloths and half a litre of acetone. The chain, I discovered had taken about an inch and a half by an inch of the upper horizontally-split crankcase and half an inch of the lower one. After getting the sprocket off, there was enough room to fish the two crankcase pieces out of the gearbox (with a bit of wire I found in the gutter) through the conveniently large window that had been created. There was also enough room with the sprocket removed to use the acetone on the rags to spotlessly clean the chain grease that had accumulated on the cases for 5 years. A rummage in the bins had the Catalan bobbies out watching this fool who was going to repair his engine with a Coke can after cutting a patch from it with the scissors on his Swiss Army knife! The patch was stuck over the hole using the Devcon and left for an hour or so before starting the engine and letting the heat slowly build, until I felt it would take some revving. 20 minutes or so later, not a drip of oil visible, I reassembled the sprocket, and with spare links I always carried in my toolkit, rejoined the chain and set off for Valencia. The bike was then in daily use until I could get it repaired properly.

I use case savers now.

#46 Borgo Panigale, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Quick update.
    Hyper fixed: New Renthal sprockets and Tsubaki Chain (£166), Generator cover (£169), work done by BikersRealm (£220).
    Very impressed with the service from BikersRealm Ltd. Thanks to Pavey for the recommendation and thanks to the others who posted constructive advice.
    Cheers,
    Moses.

P1040303.JPG

P1040302.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nice, glad they helped you out mate. Good chaps down there.

9. Think you need to change your name to Boris the bullet dodger! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yes, me too please :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. looks a lot more solid than my £7.99 jobbies off e-bay.

12. Just ordered the Ducati Racing Engine Case Chain Guard from MVS.

• Like Like x 1
  13. How much ?

14. Ducati Racing Engine Case Chain Guard, 24,95 €
    24.95 Euro, plus
    Deliveries to foreign countries:

Brief EU Welt unversichert 1,00€ Brief EU Welt Einschreiben 3,00€

Maxibrief EU Welt unversichert 4,00€
    Maxibrief EU Welt Einschreiben 6,00€

Paket EU 17,00€

• Like Like x 1
  15. £25.71 inc shipping - bargain!

Ordered...

16. It's 1.2mm thick (I have one) - chain will never go through it. £26 for a piece of folded stainless steel is hardly a bargain ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information