1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D16rr 15,000 Mile Service

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Dave, Sep 30, 2015.

1. My 3 year free servicing and warranty period runs out today. I took my bike in to JHP Ducati Coventry for its 15,000 mile service a few weeks ago and they are nearing completion.

Thankfully no issues have been found except the expected carbon build-up.

carbon on valves.JPG

I have elected to to have the valves, pistons and crank out and cleaned even though it will cost me - two head gaskets at £180 each and 8hrs of labour - because it is cheaper to do it now whilst the bike is apart than later. I figure that if I do it now after 15,000 miles it likely won't need doing again in my lifetime as I am going to get my other bikes back on the road and use the D16 a lot less now that it is out of warranty.

I have given JHP a camera and asked them to take photos as they work so I'll give an update and put them up here when I get it back.

• Like Like x 14
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Any valves needing replacement as per your suspicion?

3. Nope - they all appear to be fine at this stage. Just carbon build-up. I guess damage could be discovered once they are out of the engine but I don't think that's likely.

• Like Like x 1
  4. £180 for a head gasket, I'm in the wrong buisness.:(

I remember my dad making water pump gaskets for our old Triumph 2.5 PI by tracing the shape onto a Cornflakes © box and cutting out with a pair of scissors. Obviously for the Desmo, you'd have to upgrade to Special K, but you could have saved a few quid there Dave. :)

#4 Robarano, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Looks like a golden opportunity for a porting session :D

6. Are you saying a mechanic can strip the D16's heads and the bottom end, clean the 16 valves, 4 pistons, and the crank, and reassemble the whole lot in 8 hours of labour? His spanners must be a blur.

• Like Like x 2
  7. No, that was just the estimate ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. They practiced on a 999 first.

9. LOL. I suspect it may take them a bit longer than 8 hrs but that is what JHP say they are going to charge me for.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Is that because it's stripped and takes an extra 8 to do the work maybe

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Well done on reaching your mileage objective ,great to see

• Like Like x 1
  12. No pics yet Dave? :(

13. I'll be ringing them for an update today. I'll get the pictures when I pick up the bike and the camera I gave them. Watch this space.

• Like Like x 4
  14. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I was passing JHP today so I popped in to see how my bike is coming along and took a few pics on my phone. It is being reassembled and nearing completion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  16. Oh yes - and here are the old gaskets that cost crazy money to replace

[​IMG]

17. Blue hylomar would be cheaper.

The mag casing covers made me feel all tingly :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. I got a movement alert from my bike's tracker last thing yesterday afternoon. so I guess work has finished and it is off the bench :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Did you check out the Unibat bike saw it on FB looks a work of art :upyeah:

20. Yes I did but only very quickly as I had to push off sharpish to get home.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information