1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Dealing With Frame Rust

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TTBen, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Hi all, I have a 998S with little spots of frame rust throughout. I'm not sure if this is a common issue with these bikes.

It's not bad enough to warrant stripping and repainting - I was wondering if anyone has touched up the rust spot on their frame and if so, how did you do it? Will a little wet and dry then touch up paint work or will that look like a dog's dinner?

Thanks, Ben

• Like Like x 1
  2. The area behind the headstock can rust on these models although it is quite unseen due to the tank sitting over it.

Local touching in would be the best solution if you don't want to strip the whole bike. There is no powder coat colour that accurately matches the silver frame colour that I have come across, even if you did want to recoat the whole frame. It would require a strip and wet spraying.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. use a soft wire brush in the area. then use a rust renovator, loctite do one. It neutralises the rust. Then touch up with frame paint and lacquer kit from Bike colours.

4. How close is the colour match?

5. Sorry to drag this thread up again. I'm looking for a frame touch up paint for my 2002 998. I bought the one listed on bike colours through ebay and its far too light/silver. Has anyone else had this problem?

6. I touched up a chip on my frame using the Bike Colours touch up kit this eve, looked a bit light to me too.
    Will see what it looks like when dry! Have you used the clear coat??

7. Thanks for the replies. I did use the clear coat but didn't change the tone. It seems that there is no grey in the colour at all, just silver. I'm going to give RS paint a try after having a chat with bike colours.

DUCATI 998 999 748 749 2002 TOUCH UP KIT FRAME SILVER. | eBay

This is the one I bought. Is it one colour suits all across the 998-999 range?

8. If your touch up paint is too light and presumably will not get used because of this why not add something to it to darken it down a little, if it isn't going to get used what is to lose?

9. There are two shades of frame silver that I know of, one is Grigio Steel which I found to be a good match for my 998, although I was actually repainting a 748 headlamp holder. This however is an ICI spray paint for use in a gun.

A motor factor could no doubt make you up a small amount to use as a touch up or you could have a spray can made up and build up a few layers. There is a colour chip available so you could try and see what match it makes. Better still if the motor factor has a spectrum analyser, in which case he can\should be able to create a perfect match. My local motor factor will go down to a 1\4 litre on paints like this and although it's a large amount for touchup it can be used on other things that maybe need a bit more than just a light touchup.

The darker silver is found on earlier 748R frames and that appears to be far too dark for the 996/998 range.

10. This is the same one I got, let me know how you get on.

11. Would it be this??? Car Touch Up Paint FIAT GRIGIO STEEL Code 647 No Lacquer Required Brush In Lid | eBay

12. It may be but ICI do have a dedicated Ducati paint chip for it, personally I would look at that to see if it matches.

Ferrari Red is extremely close if not the same as the Rosso Red that Ducati used on their bikes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are using major manufacturers colours and renaming them.

One other way to check is to see the paint formula that each uses. A motor factor that also deals in bike paint should be able to tell you. My local motor factor quite happily gives me paint formulas as it saves him time when I do want something from him.

#14 Red998, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Isn't possible to just ride to a good paint mixing shop and have them mix something whilst there?
    Sorry if a numb question..but I assume the paint goes darker when exposed to UV, so even is the color is exactly matching the original it will definitely show some differences(normally lighter) when applied on the spot.

14. Paints tend to be more stable now so UV is not so much of a problem as it used to be. Red will of course be affected by the sun, heat and UV as it is a colour that tends to fade with age.

Also paint formulation has reached a point where you can buy paint several years apart and it will still match any leftovers from prior work.

The main thing to avoid is colours that have numerous shades. One of the worst colours ever was Ford Roman Bronze Metallic which had 14 different shades and made colour matching a nightmare.

15. Possibly in the car/motorcycle industry.
    We are using around 600 liters of paint per month. Most of the times the same RAL color is sligtly different if comes 6 months after the first batch, even if from the same manufacturer. We are using the best brands AkzoNobel, Sherwin Williams, Milesi.

16. Quick update on touch up paint. I ended up buying the RS one as well and that comes out a little on the light side too. I think I'm going to do as suggested and get something mixed to match. Thanks for all your help!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information