1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Do Multi's Suffer With Generic Ducati Problems?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Mapperley, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Hi All,

I'm after some advice if possible. I'm looking to buy a 2013 Multi but i was told they can be costly if say the electronic suspension goes wrong...I've had a look on multiple forums but i cant see anyone really expressing problems with the skyhook suspension. Is this something that normally occurs?

Cheers,

Matt

2. Just do it mate. Fantastic bike that simply does everything.
    I love mine, it's the best bike I have ever owned.
    A few pointers though.
    Make sure it has a full service history.
    The big services can be expensive.
    I took the dual purpose tyres off and fitted a set of good sports bike tyres. This made a world of difference.
    Keep the chain tension right per the book.
    Fit a bigger screen if your gonna ride long distances, and if you have a regular pillion put a topbox on it.
    My missus and I have done at least 100 000 Kay's over the past 10 years, on a load of different bikes and she simply loves the Multi. I have had instructions that if I do replace my 1200s it has to be with another one!!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. I've had three 1200s, the last two both with Skyhook. The first I bought new in 2013 and that had a small problem with the rear sensor, which was a recall item. Apart from that I have had no problems whatsoever with Skyhook, nor for that matter with any of the sophisticated and potentially expensive electronic systems.

Whilst Ducatis of the past had a reputation for poor electronics, as far as I know that was mainly down to poor quality switches and relays being unable to cope with Northern European wet weather. This latest generation are of a far higher quality and more reliable. As with any new model there were teething problems, some serious, but by 2013 they had all been sorted. I have had a sidestand switch fail, and a few sensors (e.g. fuel level, gear selection), heated grips, but nothing expensive at all.

If you buy any high end modern bike it will have advanced electronics that could potentially go wrong, but in this regard Ducati is certainly no worse than any of them, and a good deal better than many. Quality control and materials are now amongst the best there is, so I'd say you can buy with confidence.

BTW, the Skyhook system is fantastic, just like having a suspension guru with you constantly adjusting settings to suit whatever road you're riding or speed you are doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks for your response. I so badly want one, as its a mix of sports performance and comfort. Unfortunately i can only afford second hand, i've seen one with 11k miles on, which seems fairly low for a 5 year old bike. Is there anything to look out for other than the normal?

5. I would say buy the newest one you can afford even if it's higher milage. The initial teething problems will have already been dealt with. An older bike with less miles may not have had issues fixed.

I had problems with heated grips, kill switch, cylinder heads and speedo on my 2010 S, but they were all sorted under warranty.

6. Find a possible bike and then come back to us.
    Well tell you what to check.
    I love Mutleys.... just check out my older posts.

7. mine is a 2014 TOURING S currently its first issue wont rev over 7 k
    waiting to get that looked at

8. probably your exhaust valve stuck if you have changed the can/decat. 10 min fix at home, or bypass the lot with the same 10 min fix. Do a search on the multi forum :)

Re OP question, on my second skyhook, reckon any issues with 2013 bikes will have been sorted under warranty by now. Usual stuff is:
    1) fuel sensor - I know @Pete1950 has replaced one or two on his, not a massive cost IIRC1)
    2) flapper valve - as above - happens every few months unless regularly oiled (or just disable for the cost of a spring!!)
    3) front brake square - they all do that, some solve with a dab of copper seal on the back of the pads
    4) gear return spring thingy on some, which is consistent with most 1*98 motors tbh

There have been a few that have let go with the big end, JH had 2 I think, but really they do seem to be fairly robust. Not something that would put me off.
    Otherwise as zircon says find one and post up here, you'll get plenty of opinions ;) and who knows an ex owner may be on here

HTH :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. I've owned well over 20 bikes and would say the mutley has fun and comfort combined more than any. I've had bikes about as fun and had ones a little more comfy. This bike can do it all. 2015 dvt bought used, 470 miles when bought this time last year (11500 usd), 12k miles now. Warranty gave me a new fuel sensor, seat with another row of staples. I had a wonky idle but that hasn't resurfaced yet after dealer reset everything and I removed Duc ee.

10. Hi,
    Bought a 2014 pikes peak yesterday , out on it for 1st time today. Love it .
    I have ridden lots of different bikes for 40yrs now.
    My advise is BUY It.

11. If you buy a multi......expect problems . I have had two, a 13 plate twin spark and a DVT. They are great to ride when they are not at the dealer getting problems fixed. I have had 3 Kawasaki and 3 Suzukis ......no problems with them. So be prepared!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yes I have replaced fuel level sensors, at NIL cost to me since Ducati UK supply them f.o.c. even long after warranty has expired.

• Like Like x 1
  13. With work out of warranty has your dealer charged you for labour ?

14. 2016 DVT, love it and so does the missus, 3000 miles, no issues what so ever....touch wood!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. If I fit a fuel level sensor myself, there is no charge for labour - they don't charge me, I don't charge them. The sensors are not difficult to fit, actually.

16. Which is not quite the question I asked. I have had a few problems fixed out of warranty by my local dealership who have provided parts foc and I have paid the going rate for the labour. I am curious, but I am not losing sleep over the question, is the dealership being paid twice for their labour, once by me and once, or a portion of, by Ducati.
    The dealership has always treated me well and fought my corner with Ducati and overall I have benefitted from a couple of out of warrant claims but I would be interested to know, purely out of curiosity, if they are "making on the deal".

17. I had a gsxr 1000 k5. Bike to have. Would t run in the rain
    I'd imagine they are not getting it from Ducati, and on this occasion Pete decided to do himself so essentially the same deal you had: parts FOC :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. I'm undecided what to get next and do fancy a black Multi with gold wheels (seen one on Ebay) but the big thread on here of the bearings failings does make me think twice of one. Have a search op, sit down with a stiff drink and have a read.

19. 1098s are FAR worse. :)

20. On the skyhook reliability question i have had the rear wheel speed sensor fail (extended warranty on 2nd hand bike) and the front wheel sensor fail ....out of warranty and paid for it myself, An LED unit fail which was replaced on extended warranty (700 quid for a light unit) as well as the heated grips also replaced on the same warranty

I have had the usual fuel sensor problem (warranty) and a MAP sensor fail which will be a paid for replacement this week .....2 sets of fork seals in 22000 miles

I took a Kawasaki Versys 1000 out a few weeks ago just for comparison and the Ducati is many many levels above it on the ride and feel and found it fairly boring but the Multi, with all its faults and higher maintenance costs makes me smile even on my daily all year round commute

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information