1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Ride During The Winter?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Saalagora, Nov 3, 2016.

1. When I bought the 899 I said to myself (and my wife) that I wouldn't ride it in the winter. But don't think I can do it! 5 months without biking just too much....

2. Get something less exotic. I run a 907ie in winter. Fully enclosed bodywork keeps some of the crap out.

3. A good solution except I already have 3 bikes and that is 3 more than my wife thinks I need! I can just about squeeze car into the garage with the bikes (in theory at least!) but 4 would be very difficult.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Bring the D16 indoors. Its where they should be in winter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. in the 'maintaining sanity' stakes I find winter riding the most rewarding by far.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yep I get a bit twitchy if I dont do some miles on a bike every week.

7. Then leave it outside!

I run a Kawasaki J300 scooter for commuting in the winter and crappy days in the summer plus running errands and stuff. Titter ye not it's bl**dy brilliant and like @900streetfighter says the tupperware makes it easy to keep clean. I hardly ever drive a car and find it a complete and utter chore if I have to.

#7 pl2112, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  8. Ill ride through the winter if i can. The only things i wont do are snow/slush/gritted roads and rain. I can deal with low temps and wind. Ive got a Toyota IQ which sits on the drive for most of the year but only costs 150 quid in insurance, free to tax and services are dead cheap but only put it in every other year as the mileage is so low. Owned that for 5 years now and all its needed in that time is a front tyre (55 quid) - it went through the MOT and the bloke said youll need to replace the front discs and pads in the next 6 months...priced them up at 60 quid for the lot....

As pl2112 just said its a chore to use the car but i dont mind if its lashing down with rain. But the overhead of the IQ is so low it seems pointless selling it...

9. gsxr 1000 in the winter, there great all round bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. yep, GSXR getting fresh oil, MOT and TAX any day now......

• Like Like x 1
  11. ACF 50 is your bikes winter friend, copious lashings.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I have been for the last 6 years (up until tomorrow when I finish work for a year or so to go travelling).

I did all the ACF stuff but if I’m totally honest it didn’t work out for me as I wanted. The salt and crud still gets to parts you cant ACF and some of the bolts and the steering column were looking a bit tired.

Id get a winter hack if you can afford to. Its really hard work to keep it immaculate through a winter (if that’s the look youre after).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. If it's dry and no salt on the road then get the cold weather kit on and try to get 40-50 miles in. If that's not for you then get them all indoors and start deep cleaning ready for warmer days.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Use my hyperstrada 821 all year, just don't do snow or ice (although I do have a picture of it showing -2 on the dash and the bike iced up). ACF50 before and always wash the bike down after any wet weather ride, especially in winter. Not got any corrosion issues with the bike with nearly 15k on it now.
    Heated grips and oxford heated jacket do the job.
    deffo need heated grips today - Ducati Hyperstrada
    3 degrees - Ducati Hyperstrada

Will use the new thruxton r in winter too.
    However it will only be on the odd occasion it's a dry nice day

#14 mentalist, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  15. Don't ride regularly through the winter, just dry sunny days when the roads are clean to give the bike a run and myself a fix.
    Cold water wash, dry off and ACF 50 afterwards. Works fine.

I come to the conclusion over the years that fairings do more harm than good with winter riding. Well any riding if you want to keep your bike clean. They don't keep crap and salt out, they just hide it and make it impossible to remove.
    Go naked all year round. Its best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ride when I can if it's dry ,don't mind the cold too much,try to get about 60 miles in before my fingers say go home.

17. ACF the 899 then ride it and accept that some bolts and bits will fur. Enjoyment vs a few quid in replacing or depreciation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. [​IMG]

19. I've commuted through every winter since 98 with every bike I've owned. Not doing it in the Ducati though, got myself a winter hack as I can't face putting it through a winter.

You certainly find out a lot about build quality during the colder months that's for sure!

20. Last two winters on an ACF'd 899 , I'm planning to ride my 1299 for the bulk of this winter. Let's see.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information