1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Drilling Holes To Remove Condensation

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by spears, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Hi All
    My 848 is suffering from condensation in both the dash and clocks. Having searched around it seems the standard fix for this is to drill a few 3mm holes and then attack them with a hair dryer.
    Does anyone have photos of where their holes were drilled to resolve the condensation? I figure the light covers should be okay but what about the dash.
    Thanks

2. get this on the old ST from time to time. 5 mins with a hair dryer and all gone.

3. Remove clocks from bike. Place in airing cupboard over night. Replace clocks on bike. :)
    (Seriously though, try it before you start drilling holes)

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. As long as you don't drill holes in the sump to get rid of the condensation in the engine oil...

5. WHAT ?? this is not good now. Any crank case filler available ??

6. You could try cracking a few eggs into the cases. Apparently it works in leaking radiators...

7. But only free range. Battery hens are usually too heavy and lithium hens can burst into flames without warning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. If they get flattened, you get a clucking sound from the sprag clutch

9. Ive woken up this morning with a terrible headache...... now what should I do ? ;)

10. I've had this in boat instruments and GPS systems in the past.
    Luckily my old M900 speedo has enough holes in it for a full blown gale to pass through.

Without good ventilation to the internal voids, being able to bolt it all together in a Vacuum, or being able to fill the voids with something else it will keep coming back.

My simple solution has been to open the units up and glue a small bag of Silicone desiccant inside every couple of years.
    It will soak up the moisture in the air inside and prevent the condensation.
    If a perfect seal can be guaranteed you'll only need to do it once.

Nasher.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information