1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Drive Chain Rubbing On Swing Arm

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by DB1, Apr 16, 2015.

1. The chain on my 1199r has rubbed a small patch of paint off my swing arm and started rubbing the head off of a bolt that holds a plastic cover on to the swing arm.

Has anyone else experienced this or know of anyone with similar issue?

Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

2. I seem to remember that some who carried out the chain and sprocket change had issues with this happening, have you done this mod?

3. I read about this on the USA forum last year. From memory there were lots owners complaining of the issue and most, if not all were owners of the "R". I can't remember what the issue was but there were several mentions of sprocket reversal and the swingarm being out of alignment.

4. Thanks for the replies.

No the bike is standard.

I am aware of a few 1199r's across the water with the same problem but can't seem to find any in the UK.

I am trying gather some ammo as I have previously raised the issue at the 600 mile service and was refused by the dealer.

A recently raised the issue again at the yearly service and it's looking like another refusal.

5. speak to a different dealer, then direct to ducati, tell them you will get it in the mags unless its rectified.
    its simply unacceptable!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Thanks Flatfish, that is the plan.

The dealer told me to phone Ducati assist and get the bike delivered to them ASAP as they want to send pictures of the overall condition to send to Italy.

Anybody know which trading standard Ducati UK answers to?

7. good news so far. I presume they will answer to uk trading standards as they are a uk company.
    Make sure they get a fair chance to rectify it first, as good will may disappear once you get trading standards onto them.
    Also, do everything via email or letter, and document everything, good luck, my right indicators have just packed up, and the dash is steaming up too! :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. My R chain rubbed off the swing arm until I went to 520 (UK)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I completely agree with this contributor. Your experience is unacceptable. Simple 'fitness for purpose' issues raise their heads with this fault. You don't say from whom you bought the bike but contact Ducati UK (I think they operate out of Silverstone Circuit) and include whatever refusal you got from your seller. My own dealership has been a model of good service and unflinching when I needed a replacement speedo (got a 'damp patch' behind the glass). You have been sorely treated and your supplying dealer should be profoundly ashamed. I sell Chinese 125's and we give better service than that!

10. Spotted the same issue on mine yesterday. This now adds to paint flake on engine casing, sprocket paint now non existent, chain corrosion, dqs defective, exhaust outlet paint flaking, horn going rusty and side stand finish pitted... All on a dry bike.

11. I've the same issue on my 1199S, all came from the standard chain and sprockets. Hasn't gotten any worse since fitting a new chain and sprockets (the R kit)

12. Hi DB1
    Yep same problem on my 1299S. Only 10 months old!
    Have DID 525 gold chain @ 39t supersprox rear sprocket.
    All same size as original.

Keep us posted on your progress with DUK.

13. My dealer submitted a warranty claim and Ducati have agreed to pay for a repair. Before that happens the dealer is checking swing arm and wheel alignment, there's no point in the repair if it does it again... Unless there is a chain guide that can be fitted, I can't seem to find one? I'm sure I remember my other bikes having this sort of thing.

14. swing arms have left and right adjustment on engine mounting as far as I know. A few mill would cause rubbing.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information