1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Or Single Brake Lines

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by duc996bp, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Can anyone tell me whats the advantage of of having dual brake lines from the master cylinder instead of the std 1 ??

2. If for any reason you get an object between the front mudguard and tyre which damages the mudguard, with twin lines you reduce the risk of damaging your lines. Although very subjective, I also feel that I have more feel at the lever. Andy

#2 Android853sp, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. For race bike you can also have a single line, split at and secured to the front of the bottom yoke.

Andys 749RS 9.jpg

#3 ducati dad, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Is Dual lines some sort of race mod? Are any Ducati sports bikes supplied with DL or are they all like my 996? 1 line that splits and wraps over the mudguard.

5. think that's the main reason, race safety. There was another thread on this somewhere

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Dual lines and their routing are to do with what was previously mentioned by Andy, for racing. to eliminate line damage by exploding mudguards etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. The latest development in brake lines is the dry connection which allows you to disconnect and reconnect the brakeline at the caliper or master cylinder without having to bleed the system. Although expensive, about £200 + per male/female connector, great if you run a track bike and need to change anything. I tried to speak to HEL this week but they have yet to return my call. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Another possible advantage, which others have mentioned in similar threads is that it may be easier to bleed the twin-line set-up, because there can be a tendency for air bubbles to lurk in the "up and over" line over the mudguard. This wouldn't apply to the set-up with a single line splitting into two at the bottom yoke, but even that set up is "simplified" if you switch to two lines direct from master cylinder (it also reduces the number of connections in that case and eliminates a T-piece).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. The hassle with dual Lines, are they need longer banjo bolts and/or adaptors at the M/cyl. These have a tendency to restrict adjustment, as they can hit the fork leg.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. The reason I ask is I'm fitting some P4 calipers to my 996, which means I need new brake lines as the connector to the caliper is a different angle. Do I go dual at this stage, I intend doing more track days than road riding.

11. Dual lines, no brainer. HEL is a UK manufacturer as is Venhill. I have both but on balance I think I prefer HEL. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Dual lines much better. Easier to bleed, look better, safer :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. When ordering dual lines from Hel do they have to be custom made? i.e. I have to provide hose lengths?

14. No, you order for the bike and the kit includes banjos and copper seals. Just follow the order process on their web site. Andy

15. Thanks Andy

16. If you have P4 calipers on a 996, order the lines for a 996R or similar as they had P4 as standard.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I think this had something to do with it...
    Graeme Ritchie - Wikipedia

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Before this was mentioned, I would have never had guessed this could happen.

19. Agree with all the above, a few points I hadn't thought about too

Don't know if it applies to the 996 but the 1098 can be a sod to get one of the calipers off, as there is not a lot of space between caliper and rim.

With the single line set up it's made worse by the dual fitting on one caliper to carry the crossover. The dual line setup eliminates this.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information