1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Dealer-reasonable Or Unreasonable

Discussion in 'Monster' started by spanish, Apr 8, 2017.

1. As, over the next two years, I will rarely use my 11 month old 1200R (with 1800 miles) thought I would ask my Ducati dealer if they would buy my bike back-Termis included and as new. Paid 16350 last May- they they offered 10800!!
    As non Termi R's are listed on MCN for 12950 asked why so little and was told that they expected to make between 1500 and 1800 on the bike!
    To say the least I was disappointed as well as other very emotional thoughts!!.
    Obviously, if I am to sell, would now try to sell privately or if not keep.
    Reasonable or unreasonable dealer?

2. They've gotta make money to stay in business.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dealership = Buy low, sell high.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don't think the result would have been much different anywhere else tbh.When it comes to this part of the business I've found dealers pretty much of a muchness.
    Notwithstanding that I feel your pain,that's a canny kick in the stots as they say around our way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Forgetting the additional pipes which are generally just a good buying point over one without Termi pipes (you can always swap them back to standard and sell them on Ebay too) So:
    You paid £16350 of which £2725 was VAT. There is no VAT on second hand bikes as you paid it when new.
    The dealer has to pay VAT on the profit when he sells a second hand bike @ 15 or 20% dependant on the vat scheme he is on.
    So your £13625 new bike has an offer of £10,800 after a year of depreciation - that's £2825 less than new price pre vat. The dealer needs to make £1500 to £1800 for sure to cover overheads and servicing for the new owner (and vat on the profit). He will probably mark it up by £2500 in the show room to achieve this so £13300.
    Do these figures help?
    This is why I buy older low mileage Ducati's which go up in value as I do not like depreciation. In fact I like the opposite much much better.
    IF you buy a new expensive motorcycle in the future you will now be more aware hopefully, and like me - chose a very low mileage 10 year old model instead. Funnily enough I bought a 1098S Streetfighter around the same time as you (1300 miles and main dealer serviced) Like you I have ridden this bike very little over last year - I have been offered £10,500 for it recently - but I am not selling as I feel it will go up in value more. In fact it is now off the road as I have just done the same again and bough a 1098R which will also appreciate (you can stick your Pani R's..........for another year or 2 but I am saving up and watching the market :Watching:
    Hope that helps you sleep better - but sell private while you have the manufacturers warranty as an advantage!!! OR keep it long term to get full value from your original purchase. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Unfortunately that's the problem with buying new. As well as the points Exige made, there's also vehicle tax, registration and PDI charges in the new prices. These are all lost, along with the VAT, the moment you ride it out of the showroom..
    The Termis are a minor asset tbh. Take them off, sell them separately and recoup some of the cost that way. Chances are, the dealer would put the bike back to stock anyhow and do the same...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. All true, but has anyone ever seen a pre reg bike with zero miles on advertised at 20% less than a bike that is not registered?

Not likely, it'll be "save £1000".... It gets worse with high end cars. No pre reg £80k Porsche is valued at -20% of new value.

Unless you want to trade it in or course......

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. It's not so much a problem with buying new - everyone knows that the price of being first owner is, usually, to suffer significant depreciation, balanced by having full warranty cover, etc.

However, it doesn't matter what you are selling, the only way you will usually get a good price is to sell privately or to trade-in (in which case a dealer may offer a better price in order to secure a sale - they look at their overall margin on the transaction, as they have to if they wish to stay in business). In fact, even trade-in (in my experience with cars at any rate) will usually result in an offer significantly below what you may get privately, but most people accept that because of the convenience and lack of risk.

Selling privately can be a real pain, but there's always the forum here to help you perhaps to offer to a better class of buyer?

You could try webuyanybike.com but I imagine that, like the equivalent car buying service, it's owned by British Car Auctions, so offers will be low and the bikes will find their way back into the dealer network one way or another, potentially via auction. That is of course another way to get a market price for something - an auction will get you the best that any buyers at the auction will pay, but then you have to pay a commission and unless it's a classic bike aution I suspect that the buyers won't pay top prices.

9. Great explanation:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Not sure why this would come as a surprise.

11. My Streetfighter S is the only bike I've ever bought new, and only then as it had sat in the showroom for 18 months and was very heavily discounted on the very day I walked in.

It's getting close to the point where it's worth what I paid for it 4 years ago, which is a bonus as I thought it would be more like 15 years!

I'm the only owner to have ridden it and I've also had 2 further petrol tanks from them gratis, which has to be worth a few £.

12. If you do decide to sell, I'll buy your termis.Apologies if that sounds mercenary, but Nelly's right , the fact is it would make little difference to the dealer, it's always difficult pill to swallow when you buy new then sell so quickly you always lose. I know only to well been there done it, and then done it again.

13. For the OP:
    If you're "rarely" going to use your bike, it still isn't a good reason to sell it. Have your circumstances changed much? Or was the bike a spur of the moment decision?
    I have bought quite a few new bikes, but I have always used them heavily and only sold them after about 5 years.
    It's great to have a brand new bike, but those who change them every couple of years are either very rich or very fickle. Or both.

14. Or very nervous being out of warranty..

15. I don't really buy that. When you see what you lose in depreciation, you'd have to think that your bike was almost certain to break down expensively to be worried about being out of warranty.
    I think it's more that people just like new things.
    It's the same with cars. People chop them in when they have a miserable 30k miles. They're barely run in and will last for a decade more with no problems. Consumer society, innit? People just like having new stuff.

#15 gliddofglood, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  16. I like having 8 to 43 year old stuff :D apart from my new van but that will be with me for years :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I have only ever bought one brand new bike,and it wasn't expensive.That was a couple of years ago.I think the hit one takes in taxes,etc,as pointed out by Exige,goes against my miserly instincts.My oldest bike is about 60 years old,and funnily enough,I am happy to spend whatever it takes to get it back to top order.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Is the correct answer.

19. OP if you wanna feel not-so-bad about things price up a fully optioned expensive car and see how much they're worth a year or two later. Bikes aren't *so* bad in the world of buying new vehicles really :Bag:
    In time, and with help, you'll move on.

20. Mostly all very sensible stuff. Has made me rethink.
    Presently now plan to keep the R for at least 30 years (will take me to 103 years young) and will then be able to impart similar words of wisdom!!
    I do take on board the 'hidden value' of buying older bikes but everyone to his own. My mate, who is touring with me in Spain next month, has just bought a 2008 660 Tenere for ' not a lot' and it is excellent. He plans to do trails in Portugal later this year and as and alternative to his Z1400

Do Not Sell My Personal Information