1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Panigale Track Noise Levels Thread

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Monners, Jun 15, 2016.

1. We have a lot of noise issues with Panigales in particular so I thought I'd put up a thread to show which tracks have been ok and keep this first post up to date. If you have numbers please post but be aware that tracks need to be seen to be strict with limits so dont post anything thats going to reflect bad. The Panigale tends to fail static tests due to the exhaust exit being close to the floor so noise reverberates off the ground. Many tracks understand that this does not represent the real noise figures and will let you out for a driveby test where they will be less tolerant of failures but give you a chance to get better baffles fitted before sending you home. I find that inline six bikes like the BMW S1000RR sound louder on full chat than the Panigale despite the BMW testing lower on static tests due to it's exhaust valve being closed at low revs. Also to make things more frustrating noise results vary considerable day to day , tester to tester and in different weather conditions. For best results warm the bike up above 80 degrees and put it into wet mode and sit on the bike to lean it away from the floor.
    One other thing worth mentioning is you are much less likely to trip driveby meters if you are running in novice or lower half of inters than if you are tearing it up in fast group.

Bike noise tests:

Panigale V4
    Static 103-105dB
    Same rules as earlier Panigales at MSV tracks.

Panigale 1199S with Termi cans
    Static 105dB
    Driveby ? track days with 105dB static limits usually do not have driveby testing and I've never been picked up for this.

Panigale 1199S with Termi cans and stock baffle:
    On most UK tracks where the top speed is under 150mph I dont notice a huge difference in performance when using baffles. At Spa which has a 180mph main straight I could only reach 165mph with the baffles fitted.

Static 103-103.5dB
    Driveby 89dB confirmed OK but I have managed to be black flagged on a hard fast lap at Oulton

Panigale 1299?
    [4Apr18] 1299S with full Ti Akra was 107bD at tickover and 114/115dB at 5,500rpm. Eek.
    (Note we have a calibrated sound meter at work.)

[4Apr18]Went to Donny yesterday and my 1299 Panigale with Akrapovic race cans, on a 98dB driveby limit trackday. I started the day without my baffles, and got black flagged on the 2nd session - 102.6 dB (driveby). I put my baffles in and didn't have any problems for the rest of the day.

2015 Panigale 1199R?

2012 - 2014 Panigale 1199R?

Panigale 899 with stock baffles

103dB static

Panigale 899 fitted with Termi end cans:
    It seems the 899 is louder than the 1199, possibly due to the shorter stroke of the engine?
    106 dB.

Panigale 899 fitted with Termi and stock baffles:
    103 - 103.5dB

Panigale 959?
    98dB static. Some info here http://ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/euro-4-exhaust-swap.43125/page-4#post-793933
    Previously unconfirmed 103dB static (44teeth website) so could perhaps do with some further confirmation on the 98dB if anyone has it?

Panigale 959 with US spec exhaust and exhaust valve removed
    103dB static

Tracks:

Silverstone (update 17Aug16) - 105Db static

I was noise tested for the first time at Silverstone this week on the 1199S. To be safe I tested with baffles in and removed them halfway through the day and had no problem with the driveby, which is the important test. Sam1199s has a very loud full termi system and could not pass the static but was eventually allowed to go out and try the driveby after missing his first session trying to make the bike quieter, he had no problems with the driveby for the day. To summarise - they are inconsistent and will hopefully let you out for the driveby if you are a little over the static but people have been refused completely.

Donnington Park 98dB driveby quiet days, 108dB noisy days
    Good with understanding Panigale noise issues. I've not seen a stock bike fail but have seen the quiet day driveby failed on a BSB Trioptions bike with Austin cans which are very loud.

Anglesey 105dB static - All good son

Cadwell Park 105 static

Panigales without baffles have been black flagged on occasions but usually ok. Be aware there have been some noise problems with evening sessions which may mean problems for Panigales, details to be confirmed?

MSV Tracks:

Reduced noise limits this year so baffles are essential. Mark sure testers are aware that the bike is a Panigale and so should be allowed to do the driveby tests even if it fails the static tests.

MSV Oulton Park 102 Static 89 Driveby - Baffles essential.

Update 15/7/16: 899 with termis and baffles failed static test at 103dB and not allowed on track for drive by test.
    They might be understanding with the static test but zero tolerence on the driveby so dont remove them. I was ok for the day riding fast but when I went for a really hard lap in the last session I pinged the driveby and got black flagged and sent off.

MSV Brands Hatch GP 101 Static 92 Driveby - Stock cans essential.

Non stock end cans such as Termi or Akro strictly not allowed out even on the R where they are the only option. It's a dumb rule as stock cans don't have baffles as far as I'm aware (?) and often test louder than Termis. If you are running in novice or lower intermediate group then you should be ok with the driveby test; there was a 1299 on stock cans in novice when we went this week 21/7/16 but if you are going faster and using high revs then you will fail the driveby.

MSV Snetterton 102 Static 92 Driveby - Baffles a good idea.

Noise testers are understanding on the static and help you to get out and try the drive by tests which are strict. I went out with baffles in my Termis and had no problem. There was a guy with no baffles who was letting off near the sensors which are on yellow poles in three (?) places around the track and he was ok. I didn't notice power loss from the baffles here even though it's a fast track so personally I think you may as well use them and save the possible hassle.
    [July 2018] V4 ok in fast group with 92Db drive by.

MSV Bedford Autodrome 101 Static 87.5 Driveby - Baffles essential
    Understanding with Panigale on static test. Driveby not pinged by 959 with US spec exhaust with flapper removed but I'd be very wary of high throttle use due to the low driveby noise limit here.

Castle Combe - 105dB at 3/4 max revs, Not likely son
    Different non ACU standard tests are done here which will not be passed by Panigales and many other bikes.

Spa Francorchamps, Belgium - Baffles essential
    Panigale tested at 8000rpm. I took the baffles out on the second day and got black flagged after one lap! Unfortunately you lose around 15mph on most of the fast sections using baffles due to the bike not being able to breathe. I reached 175mph in several places without baffles before being black flagged and could only make 160mph with the baffles. It's the first time I've actually noticed a difference using them as UK tracks are normally slower.

Will add more later.

#1 Monners, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I did Cadwell on Monday and passed on my 899 with Termi's and baffles. Measured 103db with a nice warm engine (was 90 degree's) and had the bike in gear.

Worth noting the short stroke of the 899 makes it louder than the 1199 according to the Ducati dealer.

Cadwell black flagged the 1199/1299 with no baffles

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Is the bike quieter tested in gear with the clutch pulled in then?

4. Well I think every little helps, the noise metre ends up near the clutch which is noisy even on the 899 (tbf most bikes have a little noise in the clutch).

Someone told me to do It and it seem to work. I didn't lay the bike over or any of that though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 959 with US spec exhaust and flapper disabled tested 103dB with MSV at Bedford. This is noticeably louder than the Euro4, so I doubt it is also 103dB. It was an 87.5dB drive by day and I did not trigger the drive by meter.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Also at Bedford on the same day was a standard 899 (tested 103) and an 899 and 1199 with full termi and baffles. The termi bikes recorded 104-106, neither triggered the 87.5dB drive by.

7. My completely standard 899 did 106db's static at brands

8. MSV are quite clear on their site that they will be lenient on the static test for the Panigale, but no flexibility at all on drive by (as this is the one that the local authority get the results from). The tester at Bedford said they never get a problem with the drive by on the Panigale at Bedford (standard or termi with baffles).

The wording they give is: "Ducati Panigale fitted with the 'plain standard exhaust only' will be permitted leniency on the static test. Drive-by limits are still strictly enforced."
    Although this specifies standard, they were showing the same leniency to Termis with baffles.

#8 Jolley, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Does yours say 108 on the frame also? I know the standard exhaust is noisier than termi's with baffles At idle.

My bike was apparently quite quiet out on track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. I'll have a look

What difference does the 108 on the frame make mate??

Guy with a standard 1199 in front of me blew 107db's also

11. It all looks reasonably promising as I only tripped the 89db driveby meters at Oulton when really going for it in the last session so confident of the other places with higher 92dB driveby limits and even Bedford sounds like it's ok.

12. I would expect the actual drive by level is slightly irrelevant, because it is going to depend where it is both in terms of what load the bike is under and how far from the bike it is.

13. Yes agreed hence mentioning that slower groups are less likely to trip the meters but it's good to have some actual examples to go by. It sounds like the noise meters at Bedford are further from the track than say Oulton for instance, perhaps the reason for the lower limits to compensate.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Now a sticky :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. What exhaust are you running as my understanding with MSV is they only let you try the drive by with stock cans?

Interested to hear how you got on at Brands?

16. Very keen to see if anyone's got a 1299 with Akra's to pass.

• Like Like x 1
  17. That is the official line, but they were letting out 899/1199 with Termis and baffles at Bedford.

18. Yes as above, no problem with Termis being allowed to do the drive by at Oulton Park. I'm yet to confirm Brands , many say it is a particular problem to Brands which I'll confirm later this month one way or the other.

19. I was at Brands today (not on the pani) there was one pani that made it on with a lot of fudging. Another failed and a guy on an 899 registered 107 with termis and baffles and wasn't allowed on.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information