1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Purchase Advice Please???

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 749ducaticonvert, May 6, 2016.

1. Sold my Mint 2004 749 under 4,000 mile first ever Ducati Christmas 2015 and with hindsight I deeply regret doing so? I've got other bikes - 70's Harley Chopper,my beloved Vincent,a lovely Suzuki GT 750 in lovely but ridden condition and a Kawasaki 750 Triple Widowmaker.I want another Ducati as my main riding bike and want some sound advice from the people who know! Don't want anything too exotic or temperamental and only want to spend about 5K Max.Fancy a proper sports bike rather than monster sit up bike? Any ideas on what I should be looking out for guys n girls???

2. Sounds like a 999 at five grand, maybe a 1098 if you're lucky...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Or nearly a slightly tatty 848, but yeah, 999 is probably best bang for buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. 999 are very very good bikes I'm finding out. But you might get a 996 and they look better.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. How about the 'proper sit up sports bike' that is the Hypermotard 1100s?
    Cracking engine, suspension and brakes

6. Yeah I think you have confirmed my thoughts - think I would rather go for a good 999 with sensible miles that's been loved rather than entry level 1098 that's had a bit of previous and been ragged? I'm nudging 60 and got projects to last me till I'm 90 - which ain't gonna happen! Just don't want agg or dramas

• Like Like x 1
  8. You can keep the Harley.The other three I would definitely have.Lucky bugger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I will prob get slaughtered for saying it? I think a sports bike is a sports bike - nose on front tyre and Arse in the air! If you take the drop handlebars off a racing bicycle and replace them with straight sit up handlebars to me it becomes a touring bicycle? Apart from that everyone runs indoors when you cycle down their road as they think you're a Jehovas witness!

10. I couldn't agree more chap! The only thing I hate more than HARLEYS is the fat bank manager weekend warriors who cruise them around wearing all that totally ridiculous HD clobber covered in badges and sew on patches they bought while drunk off e bay at 2.00am in morning and think they look like 1%er patched up gang bikers! They don't even fool old ladies and schoolboys? However,the Harley thing is business to me and it's a good earner - it's amazing how many wannabe "Rebels without a cause" there are out there - and they have paper to burn!

11. That's why I want a £5,000 Ducati? I love my jap 2 strokes but not as much as my V which I will never sell! Problem is I love riding them but you can't park them up and enjoy a nice lunch or afternoon out without worrying who is cruising round in their transit with bolt cutters and a scaffold plank? Sad but it's world we are living in

12. Sell the lot and buy a KTM. Oops sorry, wrong forum. :Bag:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks - I've been trawling e bay and classifieds today.To get a 1098 for 5 shots it's a multiple owner,space shuttle miler or a "Story bike" so I'm gonna plump for a 999 with sub 10k mileage - don't care about paintwork or paint condition cos I've got a man waiting with a spray gun in his paw!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Agree about 'arse up, nose down', which is why I qualified the Hyper as 'sit up' sports bike. Just as much fun, in a different way. Xaus seemed to be getting on with it back at the Hyper launch... And I seem to remember somebody running a wide barred Monster based race bike just for the hell of it (SPR in Notts?). You could go even further back to Wes Cooley and Randy Mamola on their high barred Yoshimura specials...
    But just about the best fun I've ever had on a 'proper sports bike' was the loan of a 999 round Cadwell. Never ridden a 1098 etc. but the 999 was plenty enough for me thank you very much - so that would be my weapon of choice too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Now that you mention it I saw one of the boring old same as same as Henry Cole progs and he was riding a White KTM - looked a great machine

16. I did a lot of track time in the 90's but in cars.Ive ridden 3 bikes round a circuit and they were all pretty new at the time so you will realise it was when God was a boy? Yamaha RD 350 LC,Honda 400 Four and a proper bastard of a motorcycle that tried to kill you on every corner - a Laverda monduic 500 - loudest standard bike ever?

17. That's exactly what I bought and not an ounce of regret - just love it.
    Might be worth seeing if you can get an S...

18. 1290 Super Adventure I expect. Haven't ridden one but I had a good sit on one in the dealers while I was waiting for my Akra to be fitted and one thing that struck me was how much I liked the riding position. An upright bike, yet not so upright. I'm 5'11" and there was a decent reach to the bars which I find much more comfortable than sitting bolt upright.

19. No,I think it was a KTM RC8? I was surprised to see him riding a full on sports bike cos on his European Tours he is usually on an adventure type of thing? I bloody love the look of the RC8 but probably not many sold new? Probably too much ££££ for my miser budget?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mmnn,I've had a look at the RC8 and with a bit of pro haggling I can prob get a tidy low miler just sub £6000? I also spotted brand new KTM RC 390 at sub £4000! Sounds bloody cheap but probably have to wring the power out of it as its a single cylinder?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information