1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Sp5 Worth

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Peter king, Feb 21, 2016.

1. I stand corrected. Thanks Steve.

2. Good post Steve, saved me some typing . Steve is right Peter on the money, a good SP5 that is originals rather than tarted up will fetch 12.5-15k with patient selling, maybe more. I know of one that sold for 17k and high mileage recently. Personally I think Pro Twins are taking the pee at £25k! I've never ridden an SP4S but had an SP5 and tuned SP4 back to back for a year. Many a weekend I'd ride one and then come home and hop on the other to get direct comparisons. This was my second SP5 and I wanted to satisfy myself about the SP4 fans' comparisons. I sold the SP4. The five was more punchy despite the 4 having a top level tune and being the smoothest Ducati I have ever owned. The five is more industrial, tougher to ride, more rewarding when you get it right. Every journey is unique on the 5 because of its riding characteristics. The Ohlins snake oil about the 4 is rubbish too. A minor revolve on the Showas at Maxton to sort out the high speed damping and they perform better than the blingy ohlins on the 4. Having sold my first SP5 in 2007 I spent the next five years going through bikes like a dose of salts to find something that measured up, MVs newer ducatis, Hondas etc etc until I realised what I was looking for was an SP5! I found one in a German collection and bought it and it'll be my wife who sells it after they shove me in my box! I even sold my desmosedici over the SP5 so you know I'm not just hanging on to it as an investment. In my riding experiences I'd put just two other bikes above it for that all round riding experience, a full GP RS250 two stroke and the Ducati Supermono. For me the SP5 is one of the best ever...

• Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 5
  3. It's always better to have more money than sense.

4. It gets you out of the shit everytime.:upyeah:

5. And sometimes back into it....:eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. But that's a SPO that means it's just a tarted up 888 Strada, with a motor that kicks out around 20 rwbhp less than a genuine SP5.

Steve R

• Like Like x 1
  7. just for a note, here's the Reg plate of "20k" Auction bike I posted, plaque is number 195.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Probably originally sold by M&S in Newcastle as TN is that area registration. 30k miles might have put a few buyers off as well.

9. Nowt wrong with a Strada!;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yes of course there's nothing wrong with any 851/888, but a Strada is not a SP even when Ducati labeled them so for the American market.
    True SP's have uprated suspension, brakes, lighter/uprated engine internals, close ratio gearboxes, lighter overall weight and more powerful motors.

Steve R

• Like Like x 3
  11. If it is a correct UK bike, then it should be the original MPH clock. It has the Corbin replacement seat pads. I do hope they have the originals, as they are going to be around £800 to £1000 for an original set. I would like to see the engine state with the panels off, as it looks like that have gone with later stainless bolts, rather than the original yellow passivated items, so corrosion might be hiding.

12. Look like date indicators for vehicle use or not?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information