1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati St4s Starting Problem Cured

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by johnny, May 8, 2016.

1. Ducati ST4S starting problem cured

I thought I would relay how I cured my Ducati starting problem.

For around 3 to 4 years the Duke has been tough to start. Both cold and hot, she feels like she is going to catch but does not make it. Usually with another car battery connected I can get her to start in 60 seconds after around 10/15 tries with different throttle advance settings. Once running she does go well.

This is what I tried before I cured it.

· New battery with 210 CCA. Old one turned out to be OK but not brilliant
    · New Iridium spark plugs, Old ones OK but just in case
    · New and doubled up battery and starter leads.
    · Check coil resistance and connections
    · Set fuel, balance and CO
    · Set TPS by software
    · Check all connections in general.
    · Run ECU with immobilizer disconnected
    · Check immobilizer
    · Check earth resistances and double earth for bike and starter
    · Oil change, Air filter change.
    · Fuel filter change.
    · Check wiring and main connectors clean front and back

I also had a conversation with chrisw on this forum who helped a hell of a lot with another ECU which enabled me to eliminate that and the immobilizer. He told me that that the TPS has to be set with the voltage method and not software.

I then picked up this thread and set the TPS but I could not get the throttle link off with the side cutters as mentioned so I took out all adjustment (or so I thought).

BikeBoy.org - Ducati 4V Desmoquattro Non Linear TPS Baseline Adjustment (plus ST3)

Still the same, I left it and pondered. I had another go and this time wound out the throttle link removed it as well as making sure everything was not affecting the throttle. I set with the TPS manually and also with software.

I pushed the starter and bang, straight into life.

After that I followed the full procedure getting the balance right at 5K and setting CO to around 4% with the trimmer using the software.

She now starts within 1 to 3 prods and that is just me getting the throttle advance right.

Job done. Big thanks to Chris W again

#1 johnny, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Well done Johnny.
    You deserve a halo for working your way through it.

3. Cheers, I did not feel clever as it took me 2 years to sort. I wanted to post this as a refernce for others with similar problems

Do Not Sell My Personal Information