1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by J biker, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Sportsmart 2 max.

Replacement for Sportsmart 2 (why not the '3' I have no idea!).

Anyway, these seem to be new, maybe too new for a review? Going to ask anyway if anyone has tried the new version?
    I did like the 2s on the Mutley. This will be for fitment to a 1290gt for this years trip so it is essential to get 2500miles without being bald! According to Dunlop longevity has been improved etc etc. Means nothing if Im on slicks by the time we hit Germany heading back to the ferry (in rain!).

Not a lover of Pilot roads versions 3 and 4.
    Would like sporty but worried about wear especially on the KTM.
    Had Metzler 7rr on S1000. I know they will not last from the wear rate on the BMW.

Probably asking too much to have sporty grip and last but might as well ask! The KTM came on Angel GT, okayish. Already at the edge and not run in yet. Bugger all feel though.

Another option might be Michelin Power 3ct. Never tried them so dont know if they would offer a half way house option..

Probably should add that Im not kind to tyres either. Didnt buy a Vtwin for sight seeing.

2. You also have the choice of the Metzeler Roadtech, 01 for longevity, Z8 Interact for performance with I'm guessing better mileage than the M7RR. Not tried either personally but sure that they won't be "bad". Got a 4 day trip planned in May and might try the Z8s. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I tried Z8s on my KTM 990 and they caused terrible front end instability. On the other hand they were quite nice on a Speed Triple I had previously but they have nothing like the cornering grip of M7s. If I was going to try a Metzeler sports-touring tyre I'd try the Roadtech 01 ahead of the Z8.

Unless the Sportsmart 2 Max are a radical departure from the Sportsmart IIs I wouldn't recommend them for the GT. The 1290 SDR came with IIs as OE fitment and I changed mine to M7RRs when they were only half worn. They lack feel and are very slow to warm and quick to shed heat. I replaced them with M7s (which are now KTM's OE tyre for the 2017 SDR) which were a huge improvement. They talk to you in comparison. I found the M7s, ridden the same, under the same conditions on the same roads, were much less prone to squaring off than the Roadsmarts, so if the Metzelers are wearing too quickly for what you've got in mind the Dunlops are likely to be even worse.

If you don't like the M7s try Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIIs. Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tyre review : B... | Visordown
    Haven't tried them myself (I'm tempted but they came second to the M7s in MCN's group tyre test) but they're supposed to be a do-everything tyre. I doubt they'll offer much better mileage though. In that respect you're asking to have your cake and eat it which will be a struggle with a bike like the GT.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Agree with you there. Literally, what I could do with for the trip are m7rr tyres that last twice as long. Oh well.

5. I was speaking to the Dunlop rep at the nec bike show and he told me that the idea behind the new Max was to improve feel, which Dunlop are famed for. This was from response from the biking fraternity who was'nt overly impressed by the sportsmart 2's.
    I will be trying the new Max's on my 1299 and using them on my trip to Spain in june. Last year I ran the Sportsmart 2's on my big bang R1 and managed 2700 miles on them 2200 of that in Spain at 30-40 deg.

• Like Like x 1

6. Hey ! It's been a year since you wrote that post ! How did you find the sportsmart II max on your pani ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I didn't go for the Dunlops in the end, I went for the Bridgestone S21's. It's a good tyre very confidence inspiring and a good amount of grip in both dry and wet conditions. I managed about 2300 miles out of the rear tyre, 1800 of that was in Spain and a good portion on the grippy mountian roads.
    We are traveling further this year so I'm going to try the Bridgestone T30 touring tyre. Micheal Neeves from the MCN did a trackday on these and he wasn't hanging around!

8. I'm minded to try the T31s on my 1190 Adv. Currently run Roadtec 01s which I love but they're pricey. If the Bridgestones are as grippy wet and dry but with a more sporty turn they'd be well worth a go.
    Anyone's tried them on a Multistrada or similar Adv bike.?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information