1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dvt, How Does It Compare..

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by J biker, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Not ready yet, but at some point this year I will look at changing my GS.

Shortlist of;

Another GS!
    DVT 1200s
    Superduke GT

So, the DVT s 2016/2017 s version..how does the handling compare to 2013 twinspark? Mine was good but not outstanding even after fitting a front cartridge kit to the forks. Front end dive was reduced but ride suffered. MPG, any better or worse? The twinspark I thought was rather good on fuel and only dropped when really caned. The screen, brilliant at clearing rain off the visor, bad for turbulence, again DVT better ? Full termi system, upsides/downsides.

GS, known quantity with rock solid handling and a decent turn of speed. Down sides are lack of power wheelies and lack of excitement. Build quality good. Doesnt dive on the brakes (a trait I hated with the standard MTS before upgrading parts..)

Superduke GT. On paper ticks a lot of boxes. Semi active suspension, quick shifter, awesome engine..unknown quality and a warranty that cant be extended maybe downsides.

I have seen the Ducati ever red warranty can be extended out another 2 years. Giving a total 4year warranty. This puts the prospect of keeping a 3-4 year old Ducati back in to the running by taking away the worry of failing colour screens/ecu's/heated grips/or anything else that might go!! (typical 7-8k per year usage).
    With only two years warranty I wouldnt buy, partly down to minor niggles previously but also the thought of putting 16k into a bike, it would need to be a keeper!

2. GS is actually a cracking bike so it should remain high on the list. Mights also be worth looking at the KTM 1290 SA R... The standard SA is a naughty bit of kit. Did you have skyhook on your old Multi? Dive is greatly reduced with the electronic suspension so you may just have to bit down and pay more.

The 1290 GT seems like a completely different sort of bike to the Multi & GS. More of a sporty bike with a bit of touring thrown in. Not ridden in though so may be wrong.

What I will say is, a family member of mine test road most of the current crop and ended up with the new GS Triple Black.

#2 JH_1986, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  3. The 1290 GT is much more sports. I dont mind that as long as not uncomfortable. Could go all day on my S1r, with only wind blast on motorways being an issue. No real use two up though, which will happen on occasions. Depends on how the bike fits me. Test rides some time this year to see if they float my boat.

Did have a blast on a 2010 (or 11?) Pikes Peak this year. Liked the grunt but hated the harsh suspension. When I said it seemed really hard, the guy said it was set to max. load as he liked it firm. So not a good comparison and no wonder I couldnt wait to get back on the GS! The TE spec GS has outstanding suspension, but if all set to max is also too hard.

4. ^^^ Just had a look online at the 1290sd-r

Fek, thought the GS was ugly! ;)
    None starter, not even if I could put in Rossi lap times, an aesthetically challenged bugger to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I had 13 skyhook and now a dot skyhook. The original wasn't as easy to ride fast or as planted front end. The DVT seems to lack rear feel (and grip) a bit. SO swings/roundabouts

Overall, the DVT is better, but does suffer more with dive than the older one a bit. The original felt more raw but is more difficult to ride on auto-pilot

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Me and my buddies did a comparison video of the GS, DVT Multi, 1290GT and S1000XR.

Here you go:

And part 2:

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. @tobers, thanks, watched those already. Research! ;)

tbh, im leaning toward the KTM at the moment. Got a feeling the engine and handling combination will be the best of the bunch. (s1000xr excluded, those engines are too manic and clinical) Just need to get some test rides booked in.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Ktm engine is fantastic, and can feel like a berserk 2 stroke. The BMW engine can feel a bit farty and boring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. GS WC is good but it gets boring and is the least bike I want to go out on a sunny Sunday, touring wise it was great and effortless.

Dvt, miner issues meant my bike was off the rd 6 weeks, 5-6k flat spot with the full termi, my second new dvt broke down when I got it home from buying it and needed new keyless system, no quickshifter and the fasteners are made of cheese .

XR, suspension very harsh, high revving made it feel very frantic, i sold mine within a week !

GT, suspension was firm and compliment deffo not harsh, now it's done 5k it's bedded in and very nice, cruise on right cluster takes some getting used to, quickshifter is smooth but the cut-off sometimes feels too long, screen is small but it actually does work by not creating any buffeting, heated grips get nice and toasty but even having them set in favourites there a pain in the arse to turn on/off and set high/low because you still have to change screens and press buttons to many times so I'd opt for daytona hot grips nxt time with a separate controller, tank range 230 miles, brakes are awesome and the rear works not like the dvt, the engine is ferkin awesome it will pull smoothly from any gear and is very rapid, mine was dyno'd 161 @ wheel, it's very long geared i changed the front sprox and it lost its lovely torque curve so put back stock and gone up 2 on the rear this now is perfect. I use it to tour with the luggage and ergo heated seats did 3k to spain and back in some shitty weather and the bike was ace.

I usually trade up within a year of buying to the latest greatest thing however I really cannot find anything to replace the GT so it's tucked away awaiting spring, over xmas ive changed all the black plastic trim and belly pan shields to matt carbon .

[​IMG]

10. @D4VE
    Thanks. Most useful feedback yet. Agree with Duke finish, and the GS does it all very well (but without the excitement) .

11. I'm very anal so like to see how these bikes are put together and you get a feel for the quality, I never owned the XR long enough to strip it .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under the plastics the dvt is a work of art but the fasteners are poor quality but replacements are available in stainless, panel fit is shocking, I found several tiny penny washers under one section of the plastics, Obviously placed there by the factory !! It's the hardest bike to work on everything being crammed in .
    The GS is the easiest to work on all fasteners are polished and all plastics fit perfect like a jigsaw. On the GT ive had everything off apart from the tank, the tank is a bitch to get back on if you remove, panel fit is great and it's very neat how bits fit back together, also to note I brought some spare body panel bits and was pleasantly surprised how cheap they are against BMW and Ducati similar items. The quality of the GT is far better then the bm and dvt something that has not always been the case with ktm, like previously mentioned ive been extremely happy with my GT and because of this i ordered this years new 1290 AD sport in black but sitting on the bike at the bike show I realised its a little too tall for myself even tho I was told the seat height is lower then last yrs model and was going to run it along side my GT.

#11 D4VE, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  12. I'm on my second KTM and have always been pleasantly surprised of the cost of genuine KTM parts and consumables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. I need to find a dealer with a demo bike. Thirsk or Newcastle are my nearest, but MandS never seem to have anything except GTs that are sold..
    How do you find the heat from the engine/exhaust? Seen it mentioned in some owner reviews as bad. Cant be as bad as my 06 R1 surely. nearly melted in southern France on that beast!

14. D4VE where did you buy your stainless fasteners from?

KTM looks great by the way.

15. I think the KTM and Ducati are closely matched in the engine side of things, with the KTM being ahead. The BMW is sluggish once the revs come up. The BMW is just a totally different kettle of fish and not for me as I don't like screaming inline 4s.

The Ducati is more comfortable than the KTM and the riding position is more relaxed, with more space for legs if you have long ones like me.

I think the KTM would be a superb "blasting about" bike, and the Ducati a better long distance bike, with "blasting about" capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The rear header now has a exhaust jacket to prevent this, (1190 was the issue with excessive heat due to no jacket around the header) I don't no of any GT owners whom have said they have excessive heat issues ! ) however reason rear runs hot is because Ktm run the rear cylinder lean, mine has been remapped and 5% fuel added to rear cylinder so it no longer runs lean and it's bloody awesome.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I liked the wide bars on the multi as per the gs and the seat was ok on the dvt however unless i positioned my feet like a spaz my my heel sat on the exhaust shield and rubbed thro and on the other side it used to sit on the centre stand.

The stock seat on the GT is a plank after 200 miles my arse is killing the ergo seats are great but with me being small I cannot tip toe with the ergo seas fitted. I fitted 25mm TT bar riser blocks and there's multiple settings with the stock riser positions, so I have them in the hole nearest to to the tank and if you spin the stock risers around you gain another 20mm nearer, this position with the added 25mm is perfect .

Only issue that was common amongst the superduke range is the horn packs up, it's placed behind the rad so when hot it stops working until it's cold again ! Dealers have been changing them however I just moved mine and it's been ok, the panniers are a strange shape and I was able to get all my gear inside for 2 wks once fitted there very secure and easy to fit and remove .

18. I actually changed to stainless, these I had from several yrs of collecting stainless, titanium fasteners, I have done the GT, removed the odd one and called pro-bolt with the specs and how many I wanted .

19. Been in MandS today and they are putting a demo on the road in March. 1st dibs lol. Also had a good look around the bike and sat on one (well 1 of 3) and really like the looks/size of the bike. I do appreciate the lightweight, compact feel compared to the GS. Even the DVT feels big in comparison to the KTM. Tried the Duke for size again and it feels more like a tourer and the GT a sport bike.
    Got a feeling it will be the GT or keep the GS. DVT not really floating my boat as things stand. The Duke some how feels substantially bigger than my '13 twinspark. Front end looks huge when sat on the bike.

20. think someone's getting a little worried the GS wont be able to keep up with the mutley crew this coming summer on our euro trip :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information