1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dvt, How Does It Compare..

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by J biker, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Found a local(ish) demo bike. Now watching the weather to fit in with my diary. Dealer attitude great. Can have the bike for the day. Same dealer was the same with Tuono v4 a few years back. just asks that the tank is refilled.
    The GT and DVT look like different ends of the sport touring spectrum, cant wait to try it out.

2. Having tried different seat arrangements, I have settled on an inflatable pad consisting of an AirHawk balloon in a DanMedica envelope, on a DVT seat on the lower setting. Just perfect, even for long continental rides.

3. I've been testing extra layers of fat on my arse, since just before Christmas. I can confirm I get about an extra 100 miles before any numbness kicks in. Now trying to switch back to my old seating arrangements [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. So, test ride results!

The temperature was well above freezing today, a toasty 7degrees. Good timing for my afternoon off this week and even better when the KTM dealer confirmed their test bike was available. Ask twice? Oh no. So togged up, clear visor fitted and down to dealers tout suite :)

So the ride, 1st impressions etc.
    Riding position is comfy, a little canted forward with just a touch of weight on your hands, not much. (think s1000r). Leg room good. All in sporty but comfy.
    The seat. Oh my...obviously money to be made with KTM accessories lol. Its a bit of a plank. No where near as bad as it first seemed, but a plank none the less.
    The screen. Shortish compared to MTS and GS but actually pretty good. No buffeting. Just clean air. An extended touring screen (Puig do one) could be just the ticket for longer hauls if required.
    The engine, going to revisit this, but its a peach. Strong, smooth and with a naughty edge.
    Gearbox. Sweet. Just sweet up, down, with quick shifter, with clutch. Didnt even know it was there really.
    Suspension. this left me a little perplexed. the bike feels taught. rides nice if a bit firm (up front, the back never let itself be know so must be just right..). In the comfort mode it seemed to waft/wallow. Not in a soft fashion or even very comfy. just softer and different to the other modes. Road (or was it street?) mode. This is what would get used all of the time. No dive on the front. felt like a sport bike. feedback, grip, great. But...if the road was particularly bumpy the suspension jolted up front. After thinking about this a bit I think bar risers would take a bit weight off hands/arms, thus reducing some of the harsh feel and massivley improve long distance comfort. The KTM power parts seat would reduce some of the remaining harshness transmitted to rider.
    Back to the engine (and suspension);
    So the roads were a bit crappy. Still the bike felt fast and not the slightest intimidating. Confidence inspiring in the poor conditions and FAST. Oh yes. fast as (fit in several expletives here..) you could ever want. The bike was still ltd. and not full power ffs!
    Revs around 4-5k, open the throttle to pass a car and find you have past 4, 5 or all of them. Proper quick.
    And this is when the epiphany happened. Giving the beast a work out towards the end of the ride back to the dealers and it all came together. Smiling like a cheshire cat. Biking as it should be.

So, is it a GS? No ffs, look else where.
    An awesome sportbike that you could tour on (with some teaks)? Yes. Or even YES!

Do I want one? see above, of course I want one. Sod the pipe, slippers and the GS.

Ktm. 1290 GT.

5. Running in period or dealer bikes are not restricted, they just set the Rev limiter light to flash early for set mileage until run in, it's only limited power wise if you have it in rain mode the other 2 modes give full bhp just different throttle response.

Leaving the suspension in sport is my default option and feels great, the quickshifter did it work going down ! (Autoblip) I hope so because I would like this option if it's only a software update. Ktm dealer can alter the pre-load on the rear with there computer they have the option to adjust 5mm either way but this option is not available on the front not yet anyway.

In this weeks MCN richard newland has done 10k and posted some very minor niggles but I do relate to these and there easily fixable like the rear hugger being too short and the front fender also meaning you get covered in shite, obviously ive already addressed these issues, he said the shifter delay to is too long this was my thoughts also and something i gave feedback on to the dealer, hopefully the next software update they will adjust the delay times.

The seat is a plank my arse starts to hurt after 200 miles and I did 500-600 mile day to milau and my arse was fooking killing but I can live with it because the rest of the bike is outstanding, I might even try my ergo seat this year when I go to Spain, I like the stock because it feels as tho you sit in the bike rather than on top as per when fitted with the ergo seat.

Ive got the TT riser blocks that fit with the stock and they make a difference as well as adjusting the stock risers to suit .

Any test rides in these conditions your going to be cautious, so when the sun comes out and roads dry up come March and you get to wind the throttle on you then will appreciate just how good this bike is.

#46 D4VE, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  6. Power, just repeating what dealer said. The shift light was coming on way before redline , maybe that is what he meant. Seemed like full power to me!
    Got covered in crap off roads. Needs a hugger.
    Quickshifter up only. Worked great and didnt detect any lag. Previously been on Tuono v4 and my own s1r to compare quickshifter.
    I see the new 1290r has up and down shift. expect that on next years GT along with the fancy new dash, plus cruise control buttons on the left maybe. Badly located on right side on existing model and found needed to reach across with left hand to press buttons!
    Side stand difficult to 'dig out' from under gear lever with heel of boot.
    front suspension IMO could do with being more compliant. Tried it in all modes.

No big issues to be concerned over and overall a very impressive machine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 1-cruise agree totally and I have small hands, but after 5k ive learnt how to adapt so now it's no issue with using my thumb .

2-side stand has been updated and should have a long extended pin, mine was fitted after I ran it in, the extended pin is quite long and my heel catches it fine.

3-suspension needs bedding in, mine has been getting consistently better with the miles, my first thoughts were as per yours but after 5k it's very good, what i will say about the semi active is this is the first bike ive felt it stiffen things up when you wind the throttle on and it was only whilst I spent 10 days riding in France and Spain I really jelled with the bike .

Also did you check what the tyre pressures were ! I think they run em at 38 - 42 i found this way to much on the front.

8. A stallion [emoji41]

9. Not a clue on tyre pressures, did cross my mind about dropping a few psi or something with a softer side wall. Anyway, good to here the suspension beds in. read this some where else too, cant think where.

10. Been a very naughty boy today. Placed order an for a shiny new Superduke gt in orange. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Excellent. One only regrets what one does not do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Wouldn't say that. I regret buying a triumph 675... ;)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information