1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Oil Grade/velocity

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by jack999s, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Whats the recommended grade/ velocity of engine oil to go for, looking through the previous receipts it varies from 10/40 to 15/50 same dealer done servicing but have used different each time, also is it semi or fully syn?? want to put exactly the correct stuff in her,
    when I bought her this week the dealer gave me 4l thrown in but when delivered it was 10/40 semi syn, no intension of using it if its not the best
    bike is the 1098s streetfighter 2010

ta jack

2. Viscosity.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. :grinning: my spelling something else for sure lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. just having a gander on ebay and most are selling 10/ 40 semi syn for the sf, I'm sure be fine then,

5. Depends if he throws the bottle at you [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Beat me to it. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. lol cracker

8. A multi grade oil is used for all year round suitability. The 10 or 15 refers to the viscosity of the oil at low temperature and the 40 or 50 refers to the viscosity at high temperature. 10/40 is probably best suited UK winters oop north whilst 15/50 is more suited to darn sarf. The spec of the oil is more relevant to whether it is fully or semi synthetic and becomes even less relevant if you change the oil regularly and don't do significant miles. There are a lot of myths and old wives tales about oil so just use a good quality spec and change it depending on use. Lots of nice long journeys where the oil gets hot are better than lots of short stop start journeys where the oil never gets the chance to drive off moisture. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. I use Putoline Nanotech 15-50
    That's the oil Rich and Chris at Louigi Moto recommend for the Testastretta Evo engine so that's what I use.
    And its blue. Who wouldn't want funky blue oil? :)

#9 Gimlet, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2016
  10. I always used a decent 10/40 semi-synthetic in mine. It wasn't blue though :(

11. Not blue? Good job you sold it before it seized.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. That's the way to do it - believe ebay instead of your bikes handbook.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Walked into that one lol. It's a couple of well known ducati dealers that trade on eBay that recommended it. Not any tom/ dick or harry lol. The owners manual gives a choice.

14. Shell Advance Ultra 10w/40 in my SFS (I think). It's what came in it new; according to the sticker on the engine and what the dealer sticks back in it every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Matters not who is saying what on ebay as their sole purpose for being on ebay is to make money by selling you something. They will put their profit above your need to have the best for your bike. Your handbook gives you different grades that Ducati say are fine to use and does not try to sell you oil. I would suggest that the best is any of the grades Ducati tells you and there is hardly any difference between them.

16. Mine has that sticker too, I peeled it off. The sticker means that Shell is selling oil to Ducati at the cheapest price and that was in it at the factory. If another oil company sells oil at 3% cheaper then the stickers will change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Whether you use 10/40 or 15/50, follow Ducatis recommendation and use fully synthetic.
    They recommend it for a reason.
    Contrary to popular belief, most wear occurs at start up when oil is thick and gloopy, even relatively 'thin' oil. IMHO, in our climate, 10/40 will circulate round the engine faster, so protect your engine better than the 15/50.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. You're such a cynic Bob :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. read this:
    Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP CORSE Super low mileage | eBay

20. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Can of worms opened once again :rolleyes:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information