1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Engine Stalled While Clutch In (occasionally)

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Oeths, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Maybe as a word of comfort...but the so legendary Honda reliability has the same issue ;)
    Check this video:

Bike had 2000km when I bought it in december 2015, and after 7400km in May, same issue.
    Drops in rpm after reving and stalling eventually.

Honda dealer didnt know shit, had the bike for 3-4 weeks.
    No error codes, TPS reset unhelpful, disconnecting battery, etc,...
    Decided to replace the entire throttle body (and let Honda deal with the investigation...) under warranty.

Now about 17400km and no issues.

So far havent heard about recalls or so about this issue.
    Depends also how much issues are known by Honda for them to do something.

Either way, Ducati should do more than what they've done so far from what I've red here.
    Like replacing the whole throttle body as they did with me instead of letting riders go back and forth without a solution.

#101 Riko, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. TPS reset is very easy to do on my bike, just
    - kill switch off/on
    - open throttle to full, repeat this 3-4 times

Resets the throttle position.

This actually helped the issue, temporary...

Your findings are very similar to the CBs problems.

I bet a new throttle body would solve the issue for many here!
    You might not know the root of the problem by simply replacing a whole area, but hey, look at me, I am happy.
    Missed the bike for 3 weeks and after that no looking back at all!

3. Thanks Riko
    Bike has been in and out at dealer workshop for at least 6-7 weeks. Still no update from Italy HQ.

4. I had the same problem on my 2011 Diavel. Not very often, but now and then when downshifting from 3 to 2 of from 2-1. Never found a solution though. I had to press the start button to fire it up again. I hope my new 2016 multistrada will not have the same problem. It's very annoying.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. First, forgive me for my English, it is not good at all so I have decided to help myself with the translator.

In relation to the problem that you have and that I suffered for 2,000km in my diavel carbon red, I was fortunate enough to meet a competition mechanic that came up with the problem.

It seems that due to the issue of pollutant emissions, all current bikes are very poor fuel injection, and in the case of "large" ducati, the problem is accentuated due to its large cylinders.

The solution was easy, economical, and with 100% satisfactory results, it was something as simple as to make the mixture of the back cylinder more fuel rich, it did in 5 minutes and in the four years and more than 30,000km that I did to the Motorcycle, never again, the problem presented itself.

I sold the bike a year ago, and just take the new TVP, the first thing I did was take it to do the same, NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM FOR ENGINE OFFSETS IN 9.000Km.

I hope you can help them, and please forgive me for my poor command of the language

6. It's dangerous if you ride in the city often.

Hi Jose, thanks for your suggestion !
    Can I know how you adjust the fuel rich mixture for the back cylinder?

7. Just wondering...there's a little microswitch under the clutch lever. I imagine this tells the ECU that the clutch is pulled in. Could it be that this switch is a bit broken. It looks very delicate and is just a tiny sliver of metal that actuates it, and that sliver looks like it could get bent easily.

Might be worth checking.

8. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Already checked, it looks fine

• Like Like x 1

9. I can not help you with this, I am not a good technician / mechanic, I just know that he had enriched the mixture of the back cylinder, and never again was the problem, and he did it in 5 minutes

I am sorry

10. Isn't this only possible with the old 1200 multistrada? It had an air screw or something on the back cilinder. Or at least something like that. I read the the DVT doesn't have that anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I cant find the valve even in the service manual.

12. I think so.

13. Update, Ducati factory sent down region rep to check the status of the bike and collecting some data.
    Bike throttle body replaced, ecu swapped.
    New engine map flashed (beta version), workshop test ride two days say everything ok.
    Collected the bike on Friday, engine lost power when accelerating in 3rd gear/4th gear. Full throttle in 3rd gear, speed 50kmh went up only to 90kmh in 3 seconds. Engine response is very jerky when accelerating.
    There is loud poping sound coming from intake area when rev matching, there is also clicking noise coming from fwd cylinder engine case.
    Bike returned to workshop yesterday.

Well done Ducati !
    5 months old bike, 2 months stay at workshop
    thing is getting embarrassing at this stage !

14. Why did they change all those things at once ! Anyone with any trouble shooting background knows you try one thing at a time to isolate the problem. Bloody clowns

15. This is my first ducati and also the last one for sure !

16. Power dip video, look at the speed on the dash while I fully opened up the throttle.
    RPM cant rev pass to 6k rpm
    It accelerates like a scooter !

#116 Oeths, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  17. Looks lame, I did the local toy run last week, 3000'bikers in a procession, at low speeds, due to the stop start nature I changed the mode to urban, which felt pretty lame, maybe worth just checking the engine settings in the mode you're running?

18. Bike is in sport mode in the video.
    I already reset everything in menu after collected the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  19. night version, look at the RPM
    it will not pass 6-7k rpm

20. I find it strange that they give you your bike back like this after testing it for 2 days. Everyone riding it would have noticed this. Strange case. I hope they fixed it for good for you.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information