1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R Engine

Discussion in 'Monster' started by monkey nuts, Apr 2, 2017.

1. hi all just had first ride , the bike is second hand bought from a main dealer, quite a few people noticed a load of cream coloured silicon around the engine, goes all the way around some said the motors been split in half , it is proper messy job, is anyones elses like this or is it a problem, also having trouble with 5th gear 4-5 5-6 6-5 all involving 5th, hitting neutrals any thoughts please as I'm calling the dealer in the morning, its got 2k miles on it thanks,

2. Silicone is all round mine too and mine was on if the 1st in UK. So nothing to worry about there.

As for false neutrals, I've not had any. Sometimes difficult to get into neutral at lights etc. Just takes a specific / firm foot movement.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Yep to 1 and 2 are like mine - not sure about 3 as it looks furry

4. no3 Ian is smudged silicon with finger prints in it , didn't think it would come out the factory like that ?

5. Never had a false neutral ever. Just boot it into gear.

• Like Like x 1
  6. have been EL toro had about 10 today all regarding 5th ?? bit worrying all call dealer tomorrow see if they've had it apart,

7. I've not heard of any recalls etc, so if they've had it apart, I'd say it's a one off. But you're right to be concerned i think.

8. yeh cheers Ian a really liked the bike though, proper pull on it, and handles great hope its ok to keep it,

9. Mine was similar with quite a lot of sealant showing but the pdi man at Moto Rapido tidied it up nicely. No false neutrals either unless I'm being cack handed (footed?), missed a couple of changes maybe

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. im saying neutrals whats happening its not hitting the gear no clunks or nothing just revs , go back to 4th or 6th then try 5th again it goes in ,

11. That sealant looks nothing like my R, mine is greyer and much neater. I'll post pics when I'm back.

Never had any problems with the box.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Have you tried moving the gear lever down a spline?

It may make your up changes a little more positive - at least that way, you can eliminate or confirm a gearbox problem

13. Yeah I'd also advise as above. It's very common symptoms when things are not set up quite right for you foot position; perhaps you have massive hairy feet or tiny dwarf feet with three toes or something? :) Quick shifters generally need pretty positive inputs of the foot lever and fairly hard throttle on upshifts and zero throttle on downshifts otherwise they often drop into neutral like you are describing. The other thing that points to this is that you are only having the issue in fifth gear and I'm guessing you are not going at 130mph plus so low in the revs / power band.

14. yep feet normal , spoke to dealer said can guarantee 100% engine never been opened, will try lever down a few mm , dealer said loads of ducati,s do it in 4th 5th 6th DUCATI call it lazy rider syndrome easy get out a suppose told him I will try it more but if it keeps doing it , he will be getting it back to sort, thanks for the help

15. Maybe worth getting someone with experience on them to have a go? I've definitely suffered in the past with similar stuff but it's hard to tell if there are issues. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they made the timing more lazy on the Panigale around 2014 - 15 as I definitely noticed it was happening less. You want a nice quick shift for track riding and racing which used to be the main place you would see quick shifters where you are always at high load but now people are using QS on the street they expect it to ride like an automatic so it needs to shift much slower and at lower revs.

16. That sealer looks really bad against the black cases. Yet Ducati used black sealer on my Scrambler which has dark gray cases. It is a lot less obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  17. enjoy'

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Mark the lever and spline before removing so you have a reference point from which to work, or simply so you can return the lever to its original position if your experiment doesn't help with the issue. Best always to try one spline at a time, surprising the difference just one makes.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information