1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive wind ('uncledons' wings/wind deflectors)

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by chickenman, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Before you dive in just be aware of this.
    I've a set fitted to my 2012 with a DP screen fitted. The rear edge of the screen has rubbed on the face of the winglets creating a groove. I've tried refitting the winglets and even easing the back edge of the screen with a fine file but to no avail. Now it's worn its groove it's not getting any worse but annoying nevertheless. On the upside they do work though with a marked reduction in wind blast to the shoulders and no buffeting.

2. In the early stages of development, extensive testing of both the ESA prototype and my wings was carried out by David D using various screens.
    He may have tested the DP screen, so a PM to him may be a great help to you.
    IMHO:upyeah: the benefits of a small modification to the cosmetics of any screen to accommodate the wings is a Godsend.

As a further test, I removed my wings just to confirm that they really did work and that it wasn't my imagination, and bingo! the buffeting started at 70 kph and worsened the faster I went.
    After travelling only 2 kms at 90 kph the buffeting was unbearable, I stopped and re-installed the wings...oh what a difference...peace and comfort :Smuggrin:

#242 chickenman, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  3. I was wondering if it might be worth doing a bulk order for these if other people are interested, it could save a fair bit on postage?

4. Yes, if there is enough interest a bulk order is the sensible way to keep the cost as low as possible.
    From memory the cost for the two prototypes I sent to UK from Australia was around $18 AU.
    We'll wait and see the response.

5. Me definitely had my 2014 multi a month and it's killing me the buffering

6. Link to eagles screens anyone

7. Thanks I'm on my small phone and it's bit difficult

8. On last thing do the deflectors fit my 4 screw screened model ?

9. My design is only suitable for the 2010 to 2012 3 screw screen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Well I'm happy to grab some 2010, 3 screw ones that work with the DP screen. I don't even care if I get ones that rub and create a groove. I'd rather rub my face against a moving train than do another motorway journey (didn't help that I was going into a 25-30mph headwind.

11. Yes I did, and yes I did (test with the DP PP screen)....I found it to be the best combination of all.

I didn't find that the wings/screen rubbed, but that could possibly be because they were pre-production versions. It's the set up I kept on the bike and used always. Brilliant bit of kit for the 2010-13 bikes. Sadly, no such solution for the 2014 on bikes.

12. And to think that Ducati actually claimed to have addressed this issue on the MY13 onwards...obviously not.
    David, which set did you end up with, mine or Robins?

13. I think they were yours...metal. 2013 bike is ok, rather than great. It is a bit better, but not massively. Hopefully the 2015 is better, except I don't like it in the pictures.. ;-)

14. Dare I say that the BMW S1000XR looks like a serious threat :pompus:

15. I have no buffeting issues on my 2013 even when wearing a peaked helmet. I think some expect to be able to sit behind a screen smoking a ciggie. If that's the case you probably need a Goldwing.

16. Hi Chickenman
    Do you know if anyone ended up producing something similar to your "wings" or did you end up making some more as they got such good feedback from other members? I'd try a pair in a heartbeat!
    Cheers
    GUY

17. Yes, Eagle Screens :) PM sent.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information