1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally took a Diavel out for a spin - my thoughts

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by mattmccabebrown, Jul 3, 2013.

1. I have to admit, I'd been wanting to ride one of these since they came out just short of two years ago. Today I had to test a route that is going to used by my local Ducati dealers for a forthcoming event that they are taking part in. I was originally going to just run the route on one of my bikes, but I thought, seeing as I'm out, I may as well have a test ride.
    The Diavel has always been a strange one. It seems to be the combination of three bikes: a Super Naked like the Monster 1100, a muscle bike like the V-Max and a Superbike like the 1098/1198/1199. Each family of bike lends large chucks of their character and what you end up with is a really big Monster, with Superbike power and a relaxed riding position which includes very relaxed foot pegs. The seat is very comfy and I found the bars were within really easy reach. Sitting 'in' the bike you notice there is an awful lot of bike out in front of you, which in turn makes you forget just how much isn't behind you. Pretty much the only thing back there is the rear wheel, which in turn dominates the handling. The bike goes where that wheel wants to go and as the rider, you just have to wait a little longer in the turns. Its really only a fraction, but coming off a Sportsbike you really notice the pause.
    The soundtrack from those exhausts, again mimicking those found on the side of the 1100 Monster, is all growls and burbles, which really suits the machine. During my test ride I felt that the indicator switch is too high and it took a bit of getting used to. Very little movement with a big button in the middle basically. I didn't explore the three different riding modes, leaving it in Sport as today was dry and the roads were clear.
    The Diavel is an incredibly quick, stable motorbike at speed, but its also fun when it gets twisty. For the first twenty minutes I didn't really like it, but by the end of the ride I loved it, but the big question is would I buy one? I really don't know. At the moment probably not, but if I had to do lots of miles spending a good 90mins in the saddle each way, I guess I could be convinced. The more I think about it, its the perfect bike for a blast. You don't need to dress in full leathers as all you really need is a nice pair of draggin jeans, a timeless leather jacket and a tenner to buy a coffee and a sarnie along the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  2. I've always liked them, and if funds allowed I would buy one. Really like the red/ white combo.

3. It is an odd thing eh. For me it is a muscle monster. I was always saying it is more of a replacement of S4rs then Streetfighter.

After testing one it was obvious to me a perfect touring bike has been found and it is not multi.

4. still doesnt do it for me

bleugh

5. Now put that engine in a Monster and see what you got :upyeah:

6. I was lucky enough to ride one from Colorado to Austin, Texas MotoGP in the States. Did about 2000 miles all told. I REALLY liked the looks and power and the noise and am seriously thinking about buying one. Handling is harder work than the Multi I own but it can be hustled through curves with the right input.

Trouble is, for the kind of long distance riding I do, the Multi is absolutely PERFECT. So I can't justify selling it! Diavel would be a proper lust purchase, not made with head at all :)

What I'd LOVE to see and what would probably make me buy it is the addition of the Multi's electronic suspension which is great. Wonder if they've got any plans to add it?

7. What you need is the Diavel Strada

8. At the end of the day Ducati set out to build a better cruiser than anyone else. And they aced it; it's a big imposing bike but still keeps the Ducati family looks, and goes and handles like no other cruiser. That makes it a total success in my book. There's a couple of bits I'm not keen on; the wheels are too fussy for my liking, and the rear lights and numberplate hanger look gopping too. You have to admire the balls of a company, who's reputation revolves entirely around sportsbikes, coming up to Harley's factory gates and blowing a raspberry in their general direction. I love it.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Yeah, but they're SO ugly, don't you think? Kinda ruins the look of the whole bike for me. And I hate that boring crappy grey colour!

10. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373298626.884830.jpg

This is lovely much nicer in real life
    Sounds nice too a looks comfy to ride
    The guy who owns it had a massive smile on his face

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373298626.884830.jpg

11. Have to say the Diavel is really growing on me, love them in the Red and White, a classy bruiser of a bike.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Love em it's the only new Duke I do like :)

13. I wasn't convinced at first, but it grew on me. Took one for a test ride and again first impression was no, but once I got my "it's not a sportsbike" head on really started to have fun, so much so I then bought one. Not the prettiest bike out there, but definitely distinctive. Love the rear lights, but not the numberplate holder (mine now has the original behind the wheel job, but did have the Harley style side mount, which was worse) you can get a conventional number plate holder (Rizoma), but it slightly obscures the lights and offers no protection from stones thrown up by rear wheel. Suspension needs careful set up (factory settings are poor) then it handles much better than it ought to. A number of people are fitting ohlins front and rear which is very expensive but apparently makes it handle much better. For days when you want a slightly slower pace than a full on sport it's ideal and the noise from the straight through Termis just makes me laugh, it always draws a crowd with loads of questions. If you haven't ridden one, give it a go, but as I say, you need to re calibrate your head/riding style.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  14. Test rode the diavel today and really enjoyed it. So much that I did a deal, put down a deposit and ordered one.

its quick, but not 'in your face' quick like my 848, and felt far less physically demanding to ride. I like the way that you sit 'in it' as a pose to on it. It felt really comfortable, with no ball breaking shudders on some of the worse roads I took it on. I could quite happily ride it for long stints I think, where as on the 848, 120 miles or so was my limit.

I'll miss my 848 and would really like to keep it, but can't. I was going to test a 1199 too as I could of got a good deal on a used 'S' with a load of extras but I knew after the test ride I didn't want another sports bike. Well not yet anyway.

15. Probably my NEXT bike, in 2 years time.

16. Took the diavel dark out today with full sys and I'm now in love. I currently have and 848 Evo dark and I have been looking for a nice 1198s to replace the Evo but they are rare and I'm mega picky. Anyway, took the diavel out today for a few hours and it totally shocked me. The power in race mode in 1st and 2nd was IMO immense and feel it will give most 1000cc sports bikes a run for their money up to about 70-80. The handling grew on me and by the end I was throwing it about down the twistys.

The price list on the diavel dark is £13,928 and the full term exhaust sys with ECU is another £2300. It's big money but I feel I have given up the 1198S search and found a replacement for the Evo.

Lastly IMO: the diavel is different, stands out and with the full system sounds unsociably loud..... Haha

I'm looking down the back of the sofa to up my funds and hopefully my
    Order will Be in next week. Unfortunately its 4 week delivery time frame..... Gutted

Cheers

17. I still think the Diavel is fugly, but I have a funny feeling we'll end up with one in the garage sooner or later. It's not even the "so ugly it's really quite sexy in a perverse kind of way" looks, a bit like Jeff Goldblum (or as our cousins the wrong side of the channel would say "jolie-laide") it's the idea of something with the stonking 11 degree testastretta engine but with a low enough seat height that even with my stumpy little legs I could ride it, a laid back riding position but with oodles of grunt and Ducati handling. Riding my Monster in Italy on the roads round Bologna like the Futa Pass, I could quite understand why Ducati developed it.

Don't need another motorbike (but last time I said that I ended up in Snells test riding a Monster, and look where that ended up ...)

Must stop looking over the other half's shoulder at Autotrader after half a bottle of wine ...

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Sticking with numpty next but thats because I refuse to try a Diavel.

19. They ride a damn sight better than they look but the seat is too low for the, ahem, more mature knee.

20. Not a huge difference, but you can fit the "touring" seat which is about an inch and a bit taller.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information