1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Fitting Dp Tail Tidy - Any Tips!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by ResB1299, Dec 26, 2016.

1. This is the second one I have fitted over the last few years but you'd expect things to go just like the first. I mean, the second OEM part from Ducati would be the same as the first right?

Each time I try to screw the "provided" 4 x ½" self tapper into the carbon cover it gets 3mm into the cover then decides to snap the head off the screw. :Banghead: Never had this problem before. I've ordered a few more screws which will hopefully be stronger or I may have to reduce them in length. Is that the approach others would take or am I missing something fundermental when fixing into carbon?

Nothing is ever simple...:)

DP Tail Tidy.JPG

2. What brand is that? I always drill a pilot hole to keep screws from breaking.

3. It's the Ducati Performance one. The holes are pre-drilled to the right size I'm guessing. I'm basing that of course on having not had a problem before!

4. I can offer little practical advice I'm afraid but of the three I've fitted (2nr tail units snapped through vibration whilst on the bike) I had real problems with two of them snapping the self tapping screws during fitting.

For the third I made sure the screws were as square on as I could make them and made repeated attempts at gradually deeper pilot holes with the screws. This did the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Still waiting for new screws to turn up! Hopefully today :upyeah:. :)

6. I managed to get mine to thread in but it was really tight!! Also the carbon cover didn't pull down very well to 'trap' the indicators so one wobbled really badly, it was really annoying, even at the £100 I paid for mine I still think the product is pretty average in terms of quality.

7. Some aspects of the tail tidy are a little unfinished that's for sure. The new screws turned up yesterday so set about fitting it. I didn't want to make the holes any bigger but I did use a drill bit on reverse in the existing holes. This didn't snag or make the hole any bigger but it appeared to hone the screw hole enabling the new screws to go in very cleanly.

Just gotta fix the new plate which is always fun making sure that is level and perfectly drilled. :Banghead:

Thanks for the help :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information