1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting Soft Luggage On A Desmosedici

Discussion in 'D16 Desmosedici RR' started by Dave, May 28, 2015.

1. At @bradders suggestion I've started looking at soft luggage for my D16 for my IOM camping trip. He quite rightly pointed out that a tank bag will be impracticable given the riding position and the enlarged tank I have and I know from experience that the 300 mile ride to get the ferry won’t be much fun with a tank bag and rucksack. I also think I’m going to need more space than a tank bag and rucksack will provide as I need to pack for 11 days in all with sleeping bag, sleeping mat, basic cooking kit, dry and wet weather clothes, camera etc. Thankfully I don’t have to take a tent as a mate is providing that!!

I’ve ordered a few sets of panniers and tail packs from the internet. I’m going to check them out, select the ones that look like they will work best and return the others.

The Oxford ones are the obvious choice but first on the list are these Italian beauties. They look very stylish and expensive so I’m hoping they will look suitably classy on the Desmo, but I fear they may be more about form than function and they aren’t very big.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have also ordered both the medium and large Oxford tail packs and the medium and large Oxford panniers. They all seem to have lots of excellent features and get excellent reviews. I’m guessing that the medium ones will fit the D16 better, but again perhaps I need more space.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 Dave, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. What about Kreiga kit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TESCO do 1m of the rubber anti slip mat for a quid. That will help protect paintwork

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kreiga packs are great

do ventura rails kit for the DD16? i quite like their stuff too

5. I've got a Kriega R35 which is a great bit of kit, but for journeys away my bog stock Oxford throwover panniers and tail pack have never let me down. Just remember they aren't waterproof, but black sacks cost bugger all ;-)

6. i try to avoid a ruckscak for long journeys even good ones like the kriega. you will get tired quicker

make the mule do the carrying...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I've got this (US20 and a US10) - US-20 DryBag - Kriega

Great bit of kit :upyeah:

8. yep a US20 and a US10 would be a good choice
    all their packs strap together nicely in different configurations

you can also get a US 40 off the shelf which is 1 x us20 and 2 xus10 strapped together

40L should be plenty for even a very long trip (I did 6 weeks in spain & portugal with 40l inc big chain, bike cover and tools)

Ortlieb moto dry bags held on with 2 rok straps would also be be ideal

but i think i prefer the kirega cos you can separate stuff out for easier access, with 1 bag your are always having to unload, and repack when you want to find something

9. Kriega stuff won't work as the bike doesn't have a frame or a pillion seat to attach the straps to. Ventura don't do a system for the D16 and would likely have the same problem with the lack of frame.

10. its got a rear hump, surely you could attach it to that?
    i would still buy the kirega stuff use the bit of the rubber tool liner matting that chris suggested above to protect the paint
    then use longer rokstraps to attach it all to the bike. the rokstraps can be joined to themselves in a big loop

11. are you in london before you go?, I'm happy to show you what i mean 1st hand its not that dissimilar to how i have done it on the monoposto 998

12. Thanks very much

13. are you going with him Pete? :)

14. I'm sure you've been called worse Pete ;-)

15. The Kreiga system doesn't really appeal, even if it would fit onto the bike. I have their 30l rucksack and the bum bag thing so I know it is nicely built, but the tail-pack system is very expensive for what it is, doesn't have any useful exterior pockets and doesn't have a huge capacity. In my mind a traditional tail pack and pannier system is a much better bet and I think I can get it to fit onto the D16 with a bit of jiggery pokery.

I should have some parcels waiting for me when I get home this evening, so I will try to fit them and post some photos.

#15 Dave, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  16. Think I'll pass on this trip.

17. I've tried them all and opted for the larger Oxford panniers and tail pack. I have made a protective wrap for the tail unit out of heat shield material and strapped everything on using the Oxford velcro straps threaded through the vents on the top of the tail and a few rockstraps. Pretty good result I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#17 Dave, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  18. well done Dave
    talk about an executive sports tourer!
    just need heated grips now ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. All loaded and ready to go :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hope your rear subframe doesn't collapse half way up the M6 @Dave !

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information