1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip Lids

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by broke, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Been looking at flip lids specifically the Shoei Neotec and Schuberth C3 Pro, does anyone have any preferences or recommendations.
    The reason I'm looking at these type of lids is I'm looking for a spectecle friendly helmet.
    Are there any other makes I should be looking at ?
    p.s. been an avid fan of Arai helmets for years since I discovered I didn't have to have a helmet that gave me blinding headache's :)

2. Being an old rider ;) I wear spectacles under my helmet and visor and don't find it a huge problem. Many helmets have slots that allow the arms to be inserted past your temples.. You do need to remove the glasses to to get the helmet on and off but that's not a big deal.

3. Her old man has the Schuberth you speak of and is very happy with it.

I've no idea though as I've always had Arai

#3 Advikaz, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  4. dont you ever worry that you might land chin first with one of these on?

5. I have the C3 pro and love it.Most comfortable lid that I have had in 40 years of biking.
    No but I worry about being struck by lightning. If people worried about every little thing then there would be no smokers or motorcycles in the world.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. C3 Pro and a Shoei GT air, much prefer the Shuberth, it's quiet and very comfortable, wear it with sunglasses occasionally, the internal visor is top draw too

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. I have the Schuberth, in fact it’s my 2nd one which tells you something. I have only a couple of negatives for the helmet:
    • the flip down sun guard is really useful but it scratches very easily and has a ridiculous replacement cost. Also the operation is a little strange as it does not lock in the up position so it sometimes starts to move down if your head is shaken about too much.
    • the fitting of the under chin wind deflector seems a little cheap and nasty for a premium helmet, in fact the mounting on mine broke but I was able to fix it with a little Araldite.
    Other than the above I find the helmet very comfortable and it is quiet for a flip-top, I’ll probably get another one when it’s time for a replacement.

Fortunately I can’t say how good it is at its main job :)

8. i might be wrong but according to the Sharp test some high end modular helmets achieve better safety scores on the Sharp test better than some full face.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tried both helmets on at M&P's today and I found it difficult to put my glasses on with the Schuberth ?

10. Shoei Neotec fits my head, Schuberth C3 doesn't.

11. Have a go of a Shark Evoline. Ive been using flip 15 yrs. Best Ive found. Quiet and chin goes right back, good vents and removable liner. They come up large so check size.

12. Will do thanks.

13. Tried those on but happily settled on Shark evoline series 3; as they fully go to the back. Downside is they are heavy & quite noisy.

14. Each to their own mate i had a high side in September last year and there was visible scuffing round the chin and mouth area on my agv. Your chin though [emoji106]

15. Oh don't do that... Don't believe the sharp testing... The same testing claimed that a £50 box helmet was as safe as a Arai, I know what I would rather put my head in, the box will fit like a yoghurt pot.

Anyway, flip front... SHOEI are well experienced in this market and would probably be my pick, I would say that the chin risk would put me off

16. ;)

#16 Hyperextended, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
  17. :upyeah: Have a look at the thread I started about the new Shark Evoline, might be 'food for thought'.....o_O

18. I wore my C3 Pro on a 10 day run through the Indian Himalayas. Tons of dirt and dust and not a mark on either visor.

It's a great helmet, the only issue I have is the buckle rubs on my neck and it can get quite sore if I don't get the strap padding in the right place.

I'm waiting for all my gear to be shipped back from the middle east. I bought a cheapish Caberg Duke and it's really comfortable so far.

The Evoline 3 was my dream helmet; unfortunately it just wasn't the right shape for me and the cheek pads made me look like a toddler about to spit his dinner.

19. May be worth mentioning that a lot of flip fronts are not "homologated" including my C3 Pro and therefor not actually legal to be worn open. I think the Roof boxers and sharks are, but would need to be confirmed. I only ever ride with mine open ocasinally and only at very slow speed, it's great for petrol stops and when I need to get something out of my bum pack. I look a right arse when fiddling for me keys when I'm wearing my Shoei!!

20. I have a C3 pro and the neotech.

I'm a medium 57-58 in shoei and was told to go up a size with the C3 pro so opted for 58-59, I've had to remove some foam out of the c3 because it started to hurt around my ears, it looks smaller on your head then the shoei and is a snug fit, lining is ok and it vents well.

Neotech is great lid, looks huge on your head compared to the C3, it's nice n comfy, wide visor, but regardless when it pisses down it leaks in thro top of visor.

Regarding buffering regardless of lid I think it also depends on screen you have on the bike, because on one particular bike my C3 is worse then the neotech and on another bike it's vice versa !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information