1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip Lids

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by broke, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've had three C2s over maybe 10 years but at last replacement time decided to go for a Nolan N104.

In my opinion the Nolan is a much nicer helmet and the finish is outstanding. After 2 winters and maybe 50k miles the visor is completely un-scratched, which is miraculous if you think about it. And if you like riding with the front up it has a locking system, which makes it legal, and somehow produces virtually no drag.

I shouldn't worry about the strength of the front on any of these lids ..... I went face first into the M4 in a C2 and it not only withstood the blow but I was able to unlatch it with a dislocated thumb.

If the plastic shell of the Nolan puts you off the X-lite X1003 is pretty much the same lid but in fibreglass ..... about a oner more, though.

2. True. The Cabergs are homologated for open riding too.

Then again riding anywhere but in town with a 'normal' modular open is a bit uncomfortable. That's where the Roof, Shark Evoline and one LS2 that I had win.

3. I appreciate all the opinions chaps and thanks for the warning about leaks Dave.
    Will try and get to M&P this weekend.

4. Neotec for me. Always had an Arai - still do, but it's the neotec that I grab most of the time. Like the flip up for when waiting at junctions, fuelling up, touring, talking to mate when pulling alongside etc, and tho already been mentioned that it not designed so, I ride with it up for great air flow when hot when at slow speed in the towns. The drop down sun visor is a real boon. Got better air vent and flow, and more all round vision than my Arai. Tho I can't compare with the C3, I very happy with my neotec - as several mates and some of my family are. Hope that helps....

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have the Neotech ad C3 pro also.
    Bought the Neotech first, but as has been stated, in heavy rain it leaks. Went back to shoei twice, still leaks.
    bought the C3pro and is a great helmet.

6. That leaking thing worries me, where does it come in ?

7. comes in through the visor seals i think... used to run down the inside of the visor.

8. Can highly recommend the C3 Pro if you want a flip front.
    I find it exceedingly comfortable to wear - I do 120 miles a day, 5 days a week in it.
    I tried a Caberg flip front first, and the noise in that was unbelievable at any speed, and the visor never sat properly leading to water coming in at speed in the rain. Not touched it again since, I think I lasted about a month in it till next pay day came around and bought the C3.
    Only issue I have with it is the little red fabric pull tab has started to fray after catching on the velcro a bit.
    Also Schuberth do the "Motability Program" or at least did (I can't find it on their new website, used to be on the registration screen when I got mine) - which means if your helmet gets damaged in an accident, you can buy a new one from them at a third of the price.

9. I thought you could only buy a "Fliplid" if you turned up on a Goldwing or had a V5 in your name as proof of ownership?

10. I have had a couple of flip lids and found them very convenient. The most recent one also had a flip down inside sun visor. I eventually decided that they are just too heavy and bulky. I bought a Shoei Qwest, the Air also looks good.
    I came to the concluding that light weight, lowest wind noise and best visibility are the most important factors for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Ohhhhhh! cutting, have you got one then ? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. The reason I'm looking at flip lids is I think they may be easier with wearing glasses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I bought an LS2 flippy for the road a few years ago. Bloody good helmet. Many bikers are bit snobby brand wise unfortunately.

14. LS2 make one that flips all the way over. I don't think it's approved here, but it was a great and affordable helmet. The 'full flip" is brilliant on slow rides or around town...especially in the Middle East.

Edit: FF393 [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Another vote for neotec. I wear glasses sometimes (prefer contact lenses for longer rides) and the extra airflow from the vents are great for fog management on chilly mornings.

16. I replaced my roof Daytona (non flip) last year with a schuberth c3 pro and added the Bluetooth collar later. The helmet is a snug fit with a plush interior and very quiet at speed. It's great to ride with the chin bar up and the sun visor down, though not at speed.
    I use reading glasses so was thinking of buying a monocle to map read etc with the helmet on! The real test will begin on Thursday when me and friend are going to Barcelona.

17. I have (had) a HJC R-PHA Max Evo which I had to replace because of accident damage. Unfortunately I replaced it with a Shoei Neotec.
    I say unfortunately not because the Neotec is a bad helmet, far from it, it's just that I feel it is inferior to the HJC in a number of areas, including wind noise, buffeting, ventilation and ease of raising flip front and / or visor.

18. I have just bought my first flip up ; a neotech. I read about the leaking issue which only effects some helmets, and according to what I have read on forums is sorted by having the seal replaced by Shoei under their 5 year warranty. Mine has not leaked since I bought it. (I have never been out in the rain since I bought it)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ive not tried a HJC on the road but ill agree the wind noise on the shoei is more than i expected. I always ride with earplugs. No issues with opening anything though. However i find it reeeeeeally comfy all day.

#40 "Its_just_a_ride", May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information