1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flip Lids

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by broke, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 100% NO! - would rather wear an open face and risk leaving one of my chins on Tarmac!

2. Yeah probably? A good mate of mine who wears glasses all the time rides a wide variety of great bikes is forever bitching about glasses steaming up,uncomfortable etc with a full face lid

3. I've been using a Held CT1200 carbon flip up lid for a couple of years, dead comfy, super light (1200gr), pinlock ready & reasonably priced visors.
    Hope this helps - Mark.

4. I looked at the Neotech and the C3 Pro.
    The Neotech was easier when trying to get my glasses on but the C3 Pro can be made easier by tilting the helmet back on your head, putting your glasses on and then tilting the helmet down to the correct position.
    I do like the arms of my glasses to be bent around my ear quite a bit. If your arms are straight or have a slight bend around the ear they will be very much easier to put on.

I decided on the C3 Pro in the end as it fitted my head better, is quieter, has the anti roll off straps and has the Euro map and a matt yellow finish. Might be worth a fortune if we leave Europe. :tearsofjoy:
    I also liked the Schuberth headset system that is designed for the helmet, the helmet already has antenna built in to it.

It should be a tighter fit apparently than the Shoei to start with and will bed in.
    The J&S salesman told me it was designed in part by Michael Schumacher, I think he is sadly mistaken.
    But am happy to be corrected.......

5. And the instructions state you must not use it with the chin guard in the up position whilst moving.
    I would have to assume if the helmet didn't comply with the required standards in the up position you could be nicked for an illegal helmet if caught????
    I also found that the click when closing the chin guard is not obvious and requires some force, probably not wise to try that in motion.

6. I regularly flip up my Shoei Neotec at very slow speeds.
    The chap from White Dalton solicitors in a Ride magazine column said it was very unlikely that a prosecution would be successful for this "offence", but that he would close the lid if asked to do so by a plod.

7. Having previously found that the Shark and the Nolan don't fit, I tried both a C3 Pro and a Neotec at the weekend and the Schuberth didn't fit as comfortably as the Shoei. So regardless of the individual performance of the helmet, it looks like it's still Shoei for me. Andy

8. As far I know a flip lid needs to have a hold-open function to gain certification for use with the front up. My Nolan has a slide button which prevents the front from moving from open. I never use it as I find the slide difficult to locate on the move which rather nauses up the appearance of effortless cool as I clear the traffic at the end of the elevated M4 and then wobble to a halt on the hard shoulder having lost the battle of the flip closure.

I think the main official objection to using an open flip in motion is that it may shut unexpectedley and cause a loss of control rather than a defecit in facial protection.

As an aside I find the Nolan far less likely to shut on its own than the C2s I had. Virtually no drag in the open position either. Still reckon it's one of the best designed lids on the market.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I think it is also the additional twisting motion / leverage on the neck from an open flip front that can cause problems in the event of an off.
    Yeah, the C3 and the Neotec are different fits.

10. Thanks for all the suggestions everybody, so far the Shoei is the most comfortable but the thought of it leaking worries me.

11. I have a BMW system 6 evo (i think is the latest model) and is a great fit, quiet and they have the best bluetooth - not cheap but great quaility

12. I'm not certain, but I thought the BMW system was made by Schuberth or am I wrong ?

13. I think you were right although i believe it is now separate. Regardless comparable quality, etc. For me it has the best closing system of all the flips. Worth a look !!!

14. I wear glasses too. Had a C3 for 4 years and replaced it with a C3 Pro which I've had for 3. My next lid will be the next version of it, or another C3 Pro.

If it matters to you, the C3 is also the only flip front you can take on track in the UK (well, it was last time I was at Cadwell - don't know if others have caught up yet).

15. I have a Shark Evoline and glasses - its an ok helmet but noisy on motorway / fast A roads.

I mostly ride in an open face (DMD Vintage) with specially made prescription sunglasses (About Us : Sports Prescription Glasses but have a Shoei GT-Air Regalia TC-4 for long rides - superbly quiet, glasses fit, and with the Pinlock fitted, no misting.

Try eye laser treatment.....................

16. The thought of inserting contact lenses upsets me, so the thought of laser treatment terrifies me :Woot:

17. Had a Nolan N104 for a year. I didn't like it at all. My first flip lid in years, I found it heavy, noisy, and poorly ventilated. I also didn't trust it to stay closed as on a number of occasions I'd thought I'd shut it and I hadn't. I wasn't sorry when I dropped it and had to replace it.

I've replaced it with an HJC IS-Max II. It's a bit lighter, although it is noiser. It's much cheaper. Plus, it comes with graphics on it: one thing I really, really hate about flip up lids is that they tend to come in Ped Boi Black, IAM Fluoro Yellow and Traffic Cop White. It's got an ACU Gold sticker so I can take it on track.

I wear glasses - I tend to find ones with titanium frames are strong, light and flexible, so best for underneath helmets. I've never known a Ducatisti complain about buying Ti bits...

#57 Stuart Fordyce, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  18. It's amazing what you can do when needs must. I was losing my eyesight to cataracts at the end of last year and chose lens replacement surgery. 25 minutes surgery per eye a week apart and now my distance sight has been restored. Prior to the surgery I had a real screaming fit but the surgeon was brilliant. Okay I knew what he was doing but I didn't feel a thing thanks to modern anaesthetics and my eyesight was restored immediately the replacement lens was oriented for the astigmatism correction. Andy

19. The thought of losing your eyesight to cataracts is a frightening possibility in itself, but I don't think I'd hesitate in having the procedure if that was the case, as you have probably nothing to lose.
    But to risk laser treatment with the possibility of them cocking it up (which does happen) with little if any remedial surgery, leads me to think spectacles aren't a bad option :)
    By the way thank you for the encourgment Android.

20. That's interesting what you say about the N104.

I've just this last week or so found that mine sometimes fails to latch ..... started having to check it's secure when I close it. Seems to be the mechanism between the red latch buttons and the latches themselves is getting sticky. Think I'll give the importers a ring.

As far as the ventilation etc I have to say I'm surprised ... still really like mine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information