1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Fluid Change?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by canaryman, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Hi, my 998 is booked in for it's MOT next week and I was wondering whether whilst its in the workshop to ask them to change/renew the brake fluid and maybe the coolant?
    This may sound like a Sinead O'Connor song but it's been 7 years since it was last done, having purchased the bike, which then required a new master cylinder due to the internal seals perishing.
    Having said that due to various factors the bike has only covered approx. 600 miles since buying it, the mileage at the moment being just over 2 thousand, pitiful I know but true!
    Any advice, apart from try riding it more, gratefully accepted!

2. Nowadays, the workshop will test the brake and clutch fluid for water content and if it is above a certain percentage, will change it. In the modern motor world brake and clutch fluid is routinely changed every 2 years so if you haven't for 7 it would be a good idea. Brake and clutch is something you can do yourself and will take 30 minutes tops. Modern coolant additives have improved the corrosion resistance a lot in recent years so also would be a good idea. A job you can do at home although you need to dispose of the old coolant responsibly, not down the drain. Andy

3. I'd ask for new oil, filter, coolant, brake/clutch fluid, belts. Or do it myself.

You know you need new belts right?

4. Hi, thanks for the advice provided. Regarding the belts, they were changed as part of the deal when buying the bike back in 2010. I also had them changed at the main dealership back in 2012 , cost roughly £400 as my local garage where the MOT is being done said that as opposed to the 996 engine, with the 998 you require some form of laser to check for the correct tension?....true or not?
    Yes, I am aware it's an age criteria rather than a mileage covered reason and with that in mind, I will be booking the bike in around July/August to get the belts changed again.

5. Not heard of lasers. Heard of a Ducati tool, a 5mm allen key, guitar string tuners and the "twist" method but not a "laser".

laser.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information